Line Level Question?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If a audio device has a maximun output of 5V and it's meant to be connected to a line level input would damage be casued by this high amount?
I asked a few people but seem to get unclear answers I know "normal" line leve is around 2V BUT does supplying more damage the inputs or just drive them harder? Another pseron just said the amp will just amplify what is at the input..I don't know this is why I am asking. Thx for nay help you can give me guys.
I would imagine the 5v would be a peak voltage....

Sorry I think this is entirely dependant on the preamp. Usually there's some headroom, so I would not expect damage. Certain preamps use unusually high rail voltages for better linearity, so there should not be clipping also - but this really depends on the pre!

Cheers, Hannes

See, I am talking about Line Level in General. I know there is a standard that people usually foolow when building audio gear BUT what if your input voltage is a little higher then the normal Line Level voltage. WIll it damage anything I basically think NO, it would be nice to get a definate answer though.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
richie00boy said:
No damage will occur. For damage to occur the supply voltage would have to be at or less than the max input voltage, which is never going to be the case with an op-amp circuit and unlikely with a transistor circuit.

However, depending on the design of the pre-amp it may clip the waveform.

Yes, depends on where in the chain the volume control is situated.

Jan Didden

OK, I am talking about a analog soundcard. That has a Maximum line output of 5 Volts. Now some people have been worried abut it damaging Line level inuts on receviers and/or amps. I have been getting alot of different opinions on this subject...
So if this card was connected to a normal recevier used for HT, would putting the fader to 100% on the card damage the inputs?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Do you mean a computer sound card? I've never heard of an analog sound card, otoh computer sound cards usually have analog line inputs and outputs..

I am somewhat surprised to hear that this sound card has an output of 5V (if indeed it is a computer sound card) Most sound cards operate on single low voltage rails with capacitor coupled outputs. In addition some cards are rather oddly specified so that voltage might even be 5Vpp which is well under 2Vrms - the current standard for line level in domestic hifi..

You might really want to carefully reread the information that came with this card to understand how it is specified. Who made it?

Most hifi pre-amplifiers are unlikely to damaged by voltages in this range, but that is not always the case for sound card analog inputs.

THe card is the new Auzentech X-Meridian. I would really appreciate if you Hi-fi gods would look over the specs and clarify them for us computer guys as most of us won't drive the card higher then 50%
I willhave the check again if it 5VRMS or 5 Vpp...thx for the info guys..
http://www.auzentech.com/site/products/x-meridian.php

I looked over the specs again and it seems it's 5Vrms! will this damage line level gear? -if I am misunderstanding something please let me know:)

SO this is your professional opinion? -What I mean is I don't want to relay this info to other people and they blow the inputs on their amps/Receviers. I actually thought it wouldn't do anything.
So one should be able to put the card to 100% and not worry about hurting the gear right? -most won;t becasue you may get distortion from the card...maybe
thx for your advice BTW...

ROBSCIX said:
If a audio device has a maximun output of 5V and it's meant to be connected to a line level input would damage be casued by this high amount?
I asked a few people but seem to get unclear answers I know "normal" line leve is around 2V BUT does supplying more damage the inputs or just drive them harder? Another pseron just said the amp will just amplify what is at the input..I don't know this is why I am asking. Thx for nay help you can give me guys.
I would imagine the 5v would be a peak voltage....

Maximum output voltage has very little to do with the output voltage that the device will deliver under normal operating conditions.

I have designed preamps that can deliver 50 volts RMS before they clip. Under normal operating conditions, these preamps will deliver a couple of volts. The difference between the normal operating level and maximum output level is called HEADROOM.

I understand about headroom BUT I was thinking that with 5Vrms would drive the signal through the roof and cause clipping. What would be the ~normal amount of signal a recevier could handle?
So basically I should be able to driver this card with %100 signal and I won't cause disortion and won't hurt the unit at all?-the recevier or amp?
-do you have a ~voltage level a receiver sould handle on it's inputs befoer damage would occur?
-I really appreciate your help on this I have been looking around for info for along time and got varying answers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.