Line Level Question? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th February 2007, 05:48 PM   #1
ROBSCIX is offline ROBSCIX  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Line Level Question?

If a audio device has a maximun output of 5V and it's meant to be connected to a line level input would damage be casued by this high amount?
I asked a few people but seem to get unclear answers I know "normal" line leve is around 2V BUT does supplying more damage the inputs or just drive them harder? Another pseron just said the amp will just amplify what is at the input..I don't know this is why I am asking. Thx for nay help you can give me guys.
I would imagine the 5v would be a peak voltage....
Old 16th February 2007, 06:03 PM   #2
h_a is offline h_a  Europe
diyAudio Member

Sorry I think this is entirely dependant on the preamp. Usually there's some headroom, so I would not expect damage. Certain preamps use unusually high rail voltages for better linearity, so there should not be clipping also - but this really depends on the pre!

Cheers, Hannes
Old 20th February 2007, 01:39 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

See, I am talking about Line Level in General. I know there is a standard that people usually foolow when building audio gear BUT what if your input voltage is a little higher then the normal Line Level voltage. WIll it damage anything I basically think NO, it would be nice to get a definate answer though.
Old 20th February 2007, 02:01 PM   #4
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

No damage will occur. For damage to occur the supply voltage would have to be at or less than the max input voltage, which is never going to be the case with an op-amp circuit and unlikely with a transistor circuit.

However, depending on the design of the pre-amp it may clip the waveform.
Old 20th February 2007, 02:05 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by richie00boy
No damage will occur. For damage to occur the supply voltage would have to be at or less than the max input voltage, which is never going to be the case with an op-amp circuit and unlikely with a transistor circuit.

However, depending on the design of the pre-amp it may clip the waveform.

Yes, depends on where in the chain the volume control is situated.

Jan Didden
Old 17th March 2007, 09:23 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

OK, I am talking about a analog soundcard. That has a Maximum line output of 5 Volts. Now some people have been worried abut it damaging Line level inuts on receviers and/or amps. I have been getting alot of different opinions on this subject...
So if this card was connected to a normal recevier used for HT, would putting the fader to 100% on the card damage the inputs?
Old 22nd March 2007, 04:29 PM   #7
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Do you mean a computer sound card? I've never heard of an analog sound card, otoh computer sound cards usually have analog line inputs and outputs..

I am somewhat surprised to hear that this sound card has an output of 5V (if indeed it is a computer sound card) Most sound cards operate on single low voltage rails with capacitor coupled outputs. In addition some cards are rather oddly specified so that voltage might even be 5Vpp which is well under 2Vrms - the current standard for line level in domestic hifi..

You might really want to carefully reread the information that came with this card to understand how it is specified. Who made it?

Most hifi pre-amplifiers are unlikely to damaged by voltages in this range, but that is not always the case for sound card analog inputs.
Old 22nd March 2007, 04:44 PM   #8
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Second that about the real output voltage, and also that no damage will occur.
Old 22nd March 2007, 05:05 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

THe card is the new Auzentech X-Meridian. I would really appreciate if you Hi-fi gods would look over the specs and clarify them for us computer guys as most of us won't drive the card higher then 50%
I willhave the check again if it 5VRMS or 5 Vpp...thx for the info guys..
http://www.auzentech.com/site/products/x-meridian.php

I looked over the specs again and it seems it's 5Vrms! will this damage line level gear? -if I am misunderstanding something please let me know
Old 22nd March 2007, 06:19 PM   #10
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

No damage will occur. The only possible situation could be if your amp had a 6.3V input blocking capacitor (totally unlikely), and you ran the soundcard output at full level with the amp dial set to full (very unlikely as it would be distorted to hell before you even got near there).

Hide this!Advertise here!