using a transformer for balanced to unbalanced conversion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Re: Re: Belt and braces...

EC8010 said:
As you say, but the most popular valves for RIAA front-ends are VHF/UHF tuner front-end valves like 5842 etc. And to get low noise, they operate with minimal grid-stopper resistors, so we really don't want a sniff of anything creeping in that might be (badly) demodulated and turn up in the audio band.

Well that's a simple fix. Don't use the damned things. :smash: :D

se

I try to understand what the best cabling would be;

1.) connect cartridge pins to phono sockets, but don't connect phono grounds to case. Instead the grounds of the output connect to the case (alternatively one could use a star ground). I think that's recommended for the pearl.

2.) Tonearm/turntable ground is connected to the cable shielding and connected to the amp via earthing post which is connected to the case (or better to star ground?).

Probably this is an purely academical discussion, but I'm trying to get a completely humm-free phonoamp, so any input to ground-connections and such are highly appreciated!!

Thanks for your help!

Cheers, Hannes

PS: maybe somebody knows that as well: on the pearl pcb it says to connect input ground with onboard power filtering ground by the use of a small cable. However there's nothing written in the pdf about this...is this the prefered solution, or is it more clever to connect input ground and power filtering ground to star ground separately?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.