Change in frequency mains - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th March 2003, 12:11 PM   #31
Raka is offline Raka  Europe
diyAudio Member

Thanks a lot for your interest, dhaen!

Well, your circuit seems a bit complicated today for me, but once I've studied the easier one, I will give it a chance to go. Do you have a simple explanation over the scheme? Does it have a strobe?
Of course I'd like to have one pcb, my only fear is if I know how to populate it
What's all that about mains isolation?
Old 13th March 2003, 12:35 PM   #32
dhaen is offline dhaen  Europe
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by Raka
Thanks a lot for your interest, dhaen!

Well, your circuit seems a bit complicated today for me, but once I've studied the easier one, I will give it a chance to go. Do you have a simple explanation over the scheme? Does it have a strobe?
Of course I'd like to have one pcb, my only fear is if I know how to populate it
What's all that about mains isolation?
The 4060 is a binary divider with built in crystal oscillator circuitry.
The 40103 is a programmable divider, it's division ratio set by J1 to J8. It's output duty ratio is not 50% so the 1/2 4013 corrects this.
The 2/2 4013 is spare, so is used to reduce the number of links needed to change the frequency between 50Hz & 60Hz.
The TLO72 *1 1/2 & 2/2, and TLO72 *2 1/2 are active filters to turn the square wave into a sine wave.
The temperature compensation 4K7 NTC will not be necessary normally. It was used on the original because the whole case was a heatsink which could get very hot. It was to keep the output level stable for change of temperature.

Mains isolation:
Most home built equipment (wisely) uses mains isolation. This means that there is no direct connection between any of the internal circuitry and either of the mains wires. We use mains transformers for this purpose.
Commercial equipment often does not do this, but uses special and controlled techniques to ensure safety. Do not be tempted!

I will reserve 1 PCB for you, but before I send it, I need to know that you can benefit from it, and have a reasonable understanding and plan Unlike Iraq, there is no time limit

Cheers,
Old 17th March 2003, 07:50 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

Default Not so difficult

Thanks a lot dhaen,

Well, it doesn't look so difficult to build the circuit. As far as I understand now, your circuit achieves a square wave by means of dividers controlled by the crystal (and the 4013 as selector of frequency). After that, it's fed a led strobe by means of a transistor follower, and a filter that clenns everything to a trafo. Right?
The strobe light is a good thing to check the pulley. I'm planning (in long term) to change the motor, so a final check it's a good idea (but not essential if that makes this difficult)
The good point with your circuit is that the circuit is always of a fixed frequency and exactly 50Hz. That will avoid frequency variations. But what about the final distortion? Does the filter clean completely to a sine wave?
About buying the chips, any hint about where to buy and maybe code? I searched for 4060, but appeared many, I'm more used to analog components, 3055, 244, etc... any complete code for the dividers?
Old 17th March 2003, 07:59 AM   #34

Raka,

I don't have the distortion figure for the sinewave. I just remember it looked clean on the scope. It's been about 8 years since I looked!

I'll sort out the full codes of the devices for you.

Cheers,
Old 17th March 2003, 09:28 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

Dhaen,
Thanks for the codes searching, I will try also, but I'm a little bit ignorant about digital.

Will you then send to me the PCB? I would be to run my TD160 with your clean sine wave. I promise to use it properly and to inform you about the happines of my deck. I promise also no more than two hours and a half of a general description of my "news" LP.

Thanks a lot
Old 17th March 2003, 09:32 AM   #36

Raka,

Please e-mail me your name and mailing address.
I'll post it this week.

Cheers,
Old 27th March 2003, 07:18 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

Default Happy thorens

Hi,

I've just finished the power supply!! I have to thanks to dhaen for his generosity and patience with his design and my private questions. I learn a lot with the people in this forum. Not only technically, but even more in the human aspect of generosity and help.
Peter, I also thank you very much for your help, I will use the 3886 amp scheme, so be ready for my questions

Well, after the credits , a brief descritpion of the system: The output of the oscillator has a distortion of .3%, which is fine with me. Then, an old Sharp receiver amplifies the signal passed through a cap and the speaker output is connected to a transformer and at last the thorens.
Well, the results. Before all this I noticed that if you use an stethoscope, a buzz is heard caused by the motor even when is stopped. If you feed the deck, the buzz is there. Now, with my brand new power supply, no buzz is heard when the motor is connected!!!!! I suppose this is good
The sound?? Do you want a description of the sound? You should look at the bags under my eyes. I stopped spinning vynil at one in the morning, last night.

Amazing.
Old 21st November 2004, 07:16 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

Smile I have your solution!

I have the solution to your problem. I have a TD160 that I brought to the US from the UK with a 50Hz Motor and Pulley. If you and I swap pulleys we will both be able to uses our Turntables again at the correct speed!
Old 21st November 2004, 07:16 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

Default Aah!

I just read the rest of the thread and see that you fixed the problem with a more complex solution. Is there anyone out there who knows where I can lay my hands on a 60Hz Pulley?
Old 23rd November 2004, 05:38 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Default Looking for a pulley too

Hey Argonaut,

I'm in the same boat as you. Brought my Thorens from Sweden, and didn't think about the mains frequency. Bummer

If you find somewhere to get a replacement pulley, will you post it here? I'd really appreciate it.

I'll of course do the same if I find one

Hide this!Advertise here!