Lightspeed Attenuator a new passive preamp

Question:
Can't we generate the current for the LED digitally with a DAC? It would provide ultimate linear current output.
This is related to the fact I had a 12-bit Burr-Brown DAC80 that had discrete inputs ("12 complementary binary digital inputs") and an R2R current output. Now I gave them away (for experimentation to students) but we might find an alternative.
Such a dac could be encoded easily while the output will drive the LED current from anything like 1 micro amps to 4 milliamps in a totally linear way.
  • Stack some TDA1543's
  • or make a current multiplier.
This way we should also be able to create the balanced output (for the top/bottom LED).
Would this be feasible? Needed? :xfingers:
I have not gone down to building yet :shy:

My 5 cents.

JP

Attachments

• LIGHT-Layout.png
    LIGHT-Layout.png
    293.8 KB · Views: 534
  • LIGHT-PBA.png
    LIGHT-PBA.png
    943.9 KB · Views: 543
  • LDR-PREAMP_V1_SCH.pdf
    25.8 KB · Views: 202
My 5 cents.
JP

Look nice! Just one build on this:
would it be beneficient if there was a voltage sense on the battery ; now I understand charging commences only once the external DC power supply is switched in (J1). The LiPo remains fragile for discharge . . .
Or double S1 to SPDT to connect J1 when turned off (shutdown is activated)?

My less than 2¢ thoughts

Question:
Can't we generate the current for the LED digitally with a DAC? It would provide ultimate linear current output.
This is related to the fact I had a 12-bit Burr-Brown DAC80 that had discrete inputs ("12 complementary binary digital inputs") and an R2R current output. Now I gave them away (for experimentation to students) but we might find an alternative.
Such a dac could be encoded easily while the output will drive the LED current from anything like 1 micro amps to 4 milliamps in a totally linear way.
  • Stack some TDA1543's
  • or make a current multiplier.
This way we should also be able to create the balanced output (for the top/bottom LED).
Would this be feasible? Needed? :xfingers:
I have not gone down to building yet :shy:
At least one of our Members has already done this.

And even better, it calibrates itself at first turn on.
It can be recalibrated later if one has reason to think the devices have gone off a bit.

I'm still having a little sound eventhough I fully turned down the pot. What might be the problem?

This is normal and louder if your "system gain" (source/poweramp/speakers) is high , as the led on the shunt ldr/s can't get it down to zero ohms as the max current for them to be reliable over the long term for these is 20mA.

Also if you leave it powered up when unused for a few days leave the volume at half, this way all 4 series and shunt ldr's only get 10mA each. Better practise to pull the power when not used.

Cheers George