Lightspeed Attenuator a new passive preamp

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Hi,

Was hoping someone could help me with this project. I didn't have the schematic for the board, so I used the basic schematic by George found online and in the thread.
The board says Design and layout Uriah Daily 2009.

I'm getting some audio from channel 2, but only hum from channel 1.
Think I might have the optocouplers in wrong.

Using 100 ohm for resistors and 5k pots. Volume adjustment is 100k.
Using 12v walwart and regulated down to 5v.

If I turn volume up all the way get audio from 1ch that's low but not distorted.
Other channel is just him.

Thanks for any advise or proper schematic would be helpful too.

Vince

Attachments

• LS_01.jpg
    LS_01.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 412
  • LS_02.jpg
    LS_02.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 413
  • LS_03.jpg
    LS_03.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 404
  • LS_05.jpg
    LS_05.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 401
  • LS_06.jpg
    LS_06.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 396
Last edited:
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Thanks for the doc! I had since built a version based on George's schematic and it works fine. Hand wired it in 2.5 hours. But, now that I have this doc, I will build one for a friend using the board. Now just need to match some LDRs.

Thanks,

Vince

Attachments

• LS_Atten_02.jpg
    LS_Atten_02.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 177
hi George,

could you pls clarify what's wrong with my lightspeed?
Everything works fine and attenuates as it should. When I tried to adjust one channel which is slightly louder I put 1k pot (the one on the second channel is shortened) and started the adjustment process with my scope.

There is 2v 1kHz sine wave of the output on tone generator and I got 3.29V amplitude with my scope (for instance). When I'm trying to adjust the pot, nothing happens, though the LDR changes the resistance (checked with DMM). Am I missing something or doing something wrong?

I use the following schematics.

Attachments

• IMG_4303.jpg
    IMG_4303.jpg
    737.7 KB · Views: 408
  • IMG_4305.jpg
    IMG_4305.jpg
    718.1 KB · Views: 416
  • IMG_4301.jpg
    IMG_4301.jpg
    657.3 KB · Views: 448
Last edited:
Assembled my board with 2 matched pairs of Optos and have an issue when one channel is way higher than the other. It starts from 0.8R difference when pot is in Min and 4K when pot is in Max. Max resistanse is about 14K for R and about 11K for L.
It seems that difference is growing exponentially when I turn potentiometer up. I'm able to adjust R out with trimmer only when Inputs are shorted, but still can get equilibrium. Resistance out (when In is shorted) is growing to 3.2K in mid position of potentiometer and then going down till 20R (same as starts).
I do not know how to match L and R now. Any ideas? Please

Attachments

• IMG_0404.JPG
    IMG_0404.JPG
    579.4 KB · Views: 345
  • IMG_0403.JPG
    IMG_0403.JPG
    447.5 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_0406.JPG
    IMG_0406.JPG
    613.5 KB · Views: 172
  • Potentiomentr.jpg
    Potentiomentr.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 162
  • All Lightspeed structure.jpg
    All Lightspeed structure.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
Oops,
I measured potentiometer differences between L and R independently from circuit, and its behave the same as whole circuit with Optps.
I have 15k differences in max position from L to R. So, I assume this is my problem.
RadioShack potentiometer is not good for that porpoise.
Trimmer can't help since is linear and constant, and potentiometer is log.
Measure my 20K Alps Blue Velvet and it is very tight. 200R delta in Max position for 23K. Going to buy 100K Blue Velvet Alps.

No the differences in the two segments of the stereo pot don't matter.

You need to test all your ldr's again to see if they are closely matched.

A simple cheap way is to get a $5 Kemo M078 led tester, and measure the resistances at different mA from 1mA to 20mA.

PS You only need a trimpot on the louder of the two channels, just so it can be trimmed back. Heaven forbid if you need this many trimpots, I cringe just looking at it.

Cheers George

Attachments

• ArtM087_1066x854.jpg
    ArtM087_1066x854.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 182
  • 100_2528.jpg
    100_2528.jpg
    649.4 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
If you use a kemo tester with min current of 1mA thats the same as using your 5v supply through a 5k resistor which seems to be giving you a 240ohm reading on your ldr. Hardly close the the resistance you are having problems with. If you are in fact using a switched circuit like shown in your schematics this is a great tool.
Its important to test in an area with perfect temperature. No variation. No wind/breeze. Make sure each ldr is tested the same amount of time and let them run for a good 10-15minutes before you start testing. It can get frustrating. I dont envy you. Once you get reliable matches it will be awesome.