Lightspeed Attenuator a new passive preamp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th May 2006, 07:13 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to georgehifi
Default Lightspeed Attenuator a new passive preamp

I've played with every concievable passive pot, Bournes, Alps Blue Velvet, Alps Black Beauty, Penny&Giles, Dact Switched resistors, and transformers.
Nothing has beat the sound of a series/ shunt LDR arrangment in the attachement, it has no contacts in the signal path, I believe that is the secret.
The only stipulation that all these passive controls including the series/shunt LDR need I believe is,
1: Low source impedence (cd player) <200ohms
2: High input impedence (amplifier) > 50k.

Cheers George
Attached Images
File Type: gif series shunt.gif (9.1 KB, 46247 views)

Last edited by georgehifi; 23rd August 2009 at 12:51 AM.
Old 25th May 2006, 07:27 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

George,

I'm looking to build a high-quality passive preamp in the near future. I like the LDR idea. Can you provide any more information on the design and components used?

Thanks,

Graeme
Old 25th May 2006, 07:50 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Use a dual 100k log or linear pot to supply the voltage to the leds, one gang of the pot increases the series ldr's led voltage while the other gang in reverse lowers the voltage on the shunt ldr's led, this way you have a constant input and output impedence of the passive, regardless of where the voltage control setting is. I believe it's the perfect passive volume control.

You can put an LRD in one end of a tube and a Led in the other end x 4, you have to sort through a few ldr's to get 4 that track together for good channel balance, the last thing you want is to have a balance control, but even that's possible if you use two single 100k led voltage pots instead of a dual.

Cheers George
Old 25th May 2006, 01:34 PM   #4
st2_998 is offline st2_998  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by georgehifi

The only stipulation that all these passive controls including the series/shunt LDR need I believe is,
1: Low source impedence (cd player) <50ohms
2: High input impedence (amplifier) > 100k.
Thanks George, I'ma very bad at electronics, so I'll try to sort it out. For example, I don't remember if LDR increases or lowers resistance with increasing light.
This type of control perhaps should be put after a buffer (attenuating buffer's self-noise) but I understand that impedance matching would be wrong, isn't it?
Old 25th May 2006, 09:42 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

You should look for a LDR who's led on resistance is around 50ohm and dark resistance around 1megohm.
Also the balance control that I said would be 2 x 100k single pots for the leds is wrong, it would have to be 2 x 100k dual pots.
Also you could have a LDR in each end of a 1inch tube and the LED through a drilled hole in the middle, that way you'll only need 2x tubes for a stereo control.
There are combined Led/Ldr packages out there, but they are very expensive and you still need to match them.
And forget about using buffers before and after the LDR control, been there done that they only add their own colouration to the sound. A CD players output drive is plenty capable of driving a amp to clip, all you need with the LDR Control is to keep the interconects to the amp as short as possible, <2mts and to use ones that are <100pf per foot.

Cheers George
Old 25th May 2006, 09:56 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

George, do you have any manufacturer's part numbers for the LDRs? The lowest values I can find are about 2 kohm when illuminated.
Old 25th May 2006, 10:26 PM   #7
diyAudio Moderator

So the Heretical line stage isn't good enough 'eh Graeme?

Interesting topic guys, looks like a good way of controlling lots of channels for a HT setup.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 25th May 2006, 11:16 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gfinlayson
George, do you have any manufacturer's part numbers for the LDRs? The lowest values I can find are about 2 kohm when illuminated.

They are out there, you'll just have to do your homework to find them.
I make these LDR Volume controls ("Lightspeed Attenuator") as a source of income, I started them 30years ago, but back then the ldr's were way out tracking wise and changed their resistace curve with use, you needed 100 to match up 4, then I shelved the idea. In the late 90's Melos bought out their flagship preamp the SHA-Gold-Reference $20kUS which used the ldr's (hailed as the best sounding preamp ever, probally because of the ldr volume), still unreliable, nearly all that were built came back to them, maybe this is what sent them broke.
But now there are ldr's which can be 100% reliable(you still have to sort them 10 to get 4 to track), you will just have to search for them like I did, then you will keep it under your shirt like I am, because if I tell everything it will effect my sale of my
"Lightspeed Attenuator" units.

Cheers George
Old 26th May 2006, 07:27 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Al,

The heretical line stage is very good indeed; transparent, detailed, very smooth. I'm just curious to compare it with a good passive. The LDR passive seems a very simple, low cost way to try it out.

I'll probably end up building a heretical line stage anyway, if you're happy to share the design.

Graeme
Old 27th May 2006, 02:16 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hello,
here is some usefull information about LDRs:
http://optoelectronics.perkinelmer.c...tID=VTL5C2%2f2

snip
The lowest values I can find are about 2 kohm when illuminated.

Normally with only 10 lux. With more brightness they easy get down to 50E.

George,
please can You tell how equal in which range Your stereo-attenuator works?

Regards
Heinz!

Hide this!Advertise here!