Lightspeed Attenuator a new passive preamp - Page 498 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th February 2013, 07:36 AM   #4971
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply George (and thanks also for the original Lightspeed idea).

I think the execution of the hardware aspect with a pair of monoblocks would be fairly simple, the potential complexity is in the use of. But I do have another trick up my sleeve to keep the attenuation levels balanced - I have a functioning pair of ears!

I could abandon the remote control aspect and use a rotary volume control; if a potentiometer were to be replaced with a switched ladder arrangement then relative level controls could be synced via the switch position.

I have also considered building the lightspeed into my DAC but the compromise would then be the need to use buffers to drive the cables to the power amps - not keen on that route.

I'll think on it more and check out your ebay suggestion.

Ray
Old 12th February 2013, 07:58 AM   #4972
diyAudio Member

Hi Ray-

(BTW, apologies if this is slightly off topic)

I used Paul Haynes VCCS modules- they are very good. I too, was hoping to wire in a level/balance indicators, using analog meters (mainly because it would look cool). The thing that discouraged this idea was the balance changes slightly depending on the level. I have a slight L>R shift as I turn up the volume. So any indicator based on the LDR control R is pointless.

So I just use my ears as the balance indicators.

I agree- centrally located IR's w/ umbilicals seems the easiest and not very elegant way. Could you possibly do some sort of IR repeater from one amp to the other?

-Kent
Old 12th February 2013, 12:31 PM   #4973
maximus is offline maximus  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Sorry I have not got back to you on this earlier Ray. I have been a little busy with a lot of people wanting everything yesterday since returning to work after a recent hernia operation. I still have 391 more e-mails to answer.

Firstly. It is not hard to achieve channel balance, by ear, with the VCCs module, without the use of a digital readout. The balance control is just as fine as the volume control. Digital readout may tell you approx where the balance is electrically but it would not account for any imbalance in acoustic sensitivity from your loudspeakers (few loudspeakers are matched to within 1 dB) or any imbalance caused by room placement or room characteristics should these be asymmetrical.

Your problem with any dual mono infra-red remote application will be line of sight for the receiver sensors. As long as the infra red light level exceeds the input actuation threshold sensitivity of the receiver both VCCS modules should operate correctly. The transmitter IR LEDs are quite powerful so distance will not be an issue in your application. only angle. Hammond manufacture painted Octagonal cases (45 degree angles from face to face) in a wide range of colours (available from Rapid electronics in the UK). These cases are small enough to be usable and large enough to fit the transmitter and a wide variety of push button or joystick switch options. You could modify the transmitter to drive IR LEDs on two faces of the case, in line with your receiver module receiver IC lens, to provide you with a good spread of light coverage. Rapid and other component suppliers also supply panel mounting LED holders that are quite smart cosmetically.

If the angle of reception on the receiver module is still tricky the receiver could be set up in its own small cosmetically acceptable enclosure next to the amplifier with an umbilical connection to the VCCS module. This will allow the IR receiver lens to be rotated until you have good line of sight. This is slightly less elegant but not as inelegant as placement over the fireplace would be.

I hope this helps.

Regards
Paul
Old 12th February 2013, 01:27 PM   #4974
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstlfido View Post
So I just use my ears as the balance indicators.
noticed a balance detection curcuit he other day
I think it could work with both analoge balance meter and/or LED's
Old 12th February 2013, 05:22 PM   #4975
diyAudio Member

Thanks Paul, that's really helpful. Please take your time with the other stuff, I can be patient as the project will be a slow burner....

Ray
Old 12th February 2013, 09:18 PM   #4976
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioLapDance View Post
Yikes! Economic theories, excessive Canadian politeness, and now ... definitions.

Guys, ... this is turning into one of those interwebs flaming threads!!1!!

I feel a bit responsible because of my "which are the REAL lightspeed LDRs?" post.

This thread does read a bit funny and it's unclear as to who is pushing what to where with the permission of whom?
I want to add 1 worth:

I met Uriah Dailey maybe five years ago or so at a regional audio trade show, mostly for small manufacturers and DIYers. He was displaying his system using a Lighter Note passive preamp and other gear. That meeting encouraged me to look at this DIYaudio thread, not the other way around. So at least in my case, it wasn't the popularity of the thread that introduced me to Uriah Dailey, but rather my aquaintence with Uriah Dailey that introduced me to this thread.

Uriah is really, really soft spoken, so much that you really can't tell exactly what he is "promoting." I always sensed that he was trying to be careful about stepping on any toes. Probably more than necessary.

I found Uriah's concern about other's feelings quite refreshing, since there are so many out there ripping off designs and setting up "DIY companies" to clone popular products. That's a pet-peeve of mine, because it is truly theft of hard-earned R&D investment. But Uriah is clearly not doing anything of the sort.

Participation on internet discussion boards like this provides a way for a small business owner to generate goodwill, which can be used to grow a business. It's like free advertising. In my opinion, it's a win-win situation because the casual reader gets free support, and DIYers are able to do their own thing after gaining expert guidance. Of course, the DIYer has to learn enough to know what advice is good, and which of the posts have useful information from experts verses nonsense gibberish from blowhards.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that Uriah Dailey is perhaps the most understated small manufacturer I know. He doesn't promote himself much at all, and it is probably because he is overly sensitive to trash talk on DIYaudio. So be cool with him, he's a good guy.
Old 12th February 2013, 09:59 PM   #4977

oh man, does this never end

I think that Uriah Dailey have probably matched and delivered most of the LDR's used here, cheap and faithfully, to all

and even greater that he also happened to gain so much affection for it that he found a way to design his own rather than just copy

I never even notice him these days
but I hope he is still active
Old 12th February 2013, 10:29 PM   #4978
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to voxxonline
Guys. What is the problem ?
I am new to this-->>> I have questions-->>> I find answers or guides her (thanks to all of you)....
I decided to do Lightspeed Attenuator. Opted for different version of Uriah.
Uriah advised me on steps I should take. And warned me I should do amp before attempting Lighter note.
He has never been upselling anything to me and his advise was part of communal input.

Last edited by voxxonline; 12th February 2013 at 10:30 PM. Reason: adding separations
Old 12th February 2013, 10:51 PM   #4979
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default the problems with non-experts...

...is that anyone on the Internet can claim to be one, but how do we know?

Quote:
I'm sorry but I dont feel compelled to justify myself or to argue with George on the cue of any other DIYaudio member. If I had a personal argument with George I would keep it personal and he and I have both communicated many times by email. I'm not inclined to justify this argument further so please interpret my silence as my desire not to litter this forum with more vitriol rather than acquiescence to whatever is said and not responded to.
Taking swipes at those folks that provide insight into their designs is one of the greatest things about DIYaudio. Personal attacks are why many creative folks simply give up on certain discussion boards.

I don't know Uriah Dailey or George but can tell you this: pitting folks against others is a pretty lame thing to do. Both Uriah and George have provided so much helpful information with no direct commercial gain, one ought to be ashamed of one's behaviour if trying to pitch a fight. How many ways to skin a cat? Too many. And I doubt that either is getting rich selling the LDRs , etc. They choose to provide information voluntarily. So for any and all that seem intent on continuing such nonsense, please stop. You were probably raised better than your actions here might indicate.

As an aside: Wayne please PM me (thanks)
Old 12th February 2013, 11:02 PM   #4980

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxxonline View Post
Guys. What is the problem ?
I am new to this...........
nothing, just some stupid yak yak we occationally have from time to time on a big forum like this

forget about it, and keep the good stuff rolling

Hide this!Advertise here!