Mint Tin Phono Amplifier - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th October 2006, 02:43 AM   #21
ALBQ is offline ALBQ  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Plot thickens

Bob,
Sounds like you are in real trouble. Please private email me and I will help with a solution. Without a board in front of me, hard to tell whats going on. Also, please post that you hit my private mail from the board - I don't normally check it.
Cheers - ALBQ
Old 9th October 2006, 03:01 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

E-mail attempted but rejected by the board. Not sure how best to remedy that. Thanks again!
Old 10th October 2006, 01:13 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

I'll buy one off eBay instead.
Old 10th October 2006, 01:21 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Default Mint Tin Phono

Bob,
Here is the link to my Webpage. Private email me with contact info and I will send you the prototype - the amp pictured on the original post.
Cheers - ALBQ

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/gilles...-MainPage.html
Old 10th October 2006, 01:45 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Done Chief! And not a moment too soon as I was about to BIN. Thanks!
Old 10th October 2006, 02:15 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Default You have mail

Bob,
Check your private email - talk to you soon
Cheers -ALBQ
Old 11th October 2006, 01:21 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

I jumpered the R5 rather insertng the resistor. Okie dokie. Rewired on a new board and I've got sound, just no amplification. Same volume with or without the battery. Voltages measure 4.15 +/- on the pin 4 and 8 of the socket. Well, at least it hasn't gotten hot or melted!! Maybe I had a bad cap (although new) or the new IC is crap.
Old 11th October 2006, 03:04 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Default Resistor

Bob,
Sorry for being dense. From the posted schematic, which resistor did you jumper?
Thank you -ALBQ
Old 11th October 2006, 12:37 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Hi ya ALBQ,

I jumpered at both R5 locations, left and right, under the R4 location. If I connect my source inputs to the "bent M-shaped" jumpers on the left and right, I get full volume from the source, but no amplification whether the the battery is connected or not. However, if I connect the source inputs (left and right) to the locations noted by Tangent, I get silence. I'm seriously missing something and I just don't see it yet.

I changed to other new caps (still 0.1 uF since bigger won't fit easily), refitted jumpers on a new board, cleaned flux using 91% alcohol, and rechecked my resistors. All measure out as expected.
Thinking that I might have goofed on the input jacks, I checked input and output connections on my alligator clips for left, right, and ground. Again, all is good.

Somewhere out there is an amplified signal just waiting to be heard, I must find it. Frustrated, yes. Discouraged, no. Thanks ALBQ. These little devices can't be that hard to assemble, can they?

Smokehouse Bob
Old 12th October 2006, 12:14 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Default Plot thickens

Bob,
For what its worth, I have made several versions of the CMoy headphone amp on perf pcb and always struggle. Although I can get the things to work, space is tight and I find it difficult to make sure all of the connections are correct. This circuit has even more parts in the feedback loop (riaa filter) so, more difficult still. That is why I made a pcb. Mush easier to get right and still keep the overall footprint down. Do you know how to use or have access to a scope? Makes troubleshooting analog signals musch easier. Sorry cannot be of more help -ALBQ

Hide this!Advertise here!