What's the function of this? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st March 2006, 08:45 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default What's the function of this?

Hi Folk!

I'm analysing a circuit from a pre-amplifier. I don't have the schematics. Not all component are represented on this home made diagram.

Does someone understand the use of IC400 in this circuit?

Thanks for your help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg output.jpg (41.6 KB, 261 views)
Old 21st March 2006, 09:08 AM   #2
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

It's an integrator that is performing the task of DC servo and holding the DC at the output of the second IC at 0V. Quite why they've chosen to use an OPA2134 for that function, I don't understand. The servo op-amp is usually chosen for its low DC offset rather than good audio quality.
Old 21st March 2006, 09:13 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Great thanks. I was thinking too for a DC servo but I was confused as they use an 2114 for the "audio signal" and an 2134 for the DC...

Do you will have a recommandation to update both opamp?

I was thinking to an AD8620B for the IC400 and 2134 (or something else) for IC403.

Old 21st March 2006, 11:56 AM   #4
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by EC8010
Quite why they've chosen to use an OPA2134 for that function, I don't understand. The servo op-amp is usually chosen for its low DC offset rather than good audio quality.
My guess is that, the way this circuit is configured, any integrator grunge will be fed directly into the non-inverting input with no attenuation. So op-amps which are particularly suitable from a low-offset and low-bias-current standpoint might not be optimal.
Old 21st March 2006, 12:16 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

What about AD822 for IC400?
Old 21st March 2006, 12:16 PM   #6
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by SY
My guess is that, the way this circuit is configured, any integrator grunge will be fed directly into the non-inverting input with no attenuation. So op-amps which are particularly suitable from a low-offset and low-bias-current standpoint might not be optimal.
Good point, I've no doubt that you are right. It's a trade-off between good DC performance and LF noise.

Hide this!Advertise here!