Is regulated PSU for phono preamp a MUST?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AndrewT said:
Hi,
I hope some expert can tell us.
Maybe a table of component values related to transformer type/size would be ideal.

it isn't the size of the transformer, per se, it's the secondary inductance, interwinding capacitance and diode capacitance --
Hagerman http://www.hagtech.com/pdf/snubber.pdf -- this PDF was also in Audio Amateur around the same time. Other vendors like Cornell Dubilier, On-Semi, IRF, Intersil, TI, Maxim also have white-papers on the topic which is of a lot of interest in the switching power supply community.

for some transformers you will experience very little ringing -- almost un-observible -- for others it is quite pronounced. the problem with the hf ringing is that it can couple itself into high gain circuitry and cause a loss of linearity, hf noise can cause circuits to become unstable.

Wow! Guys, Great disscussion.

Some of the readings beyond my limited understanding of electronics but great resources you have.

I was just wondering in layman's terms, would unregulated PSU for phono stage be better than regulated?

I've read some of the arguments for both before in power amps topics before, but would pre-amps be any diferent?

This is because I have modded my phono stage PSU to a regulated one and there's always a wonder if the unregulated PSU of same spec would sound better?

Inspired by this thread, I just had to find out for my self.

So I went and got my self an equavelent spec 24VDC 1000ma, regulated and unregulated power supply from the same manufacturer to test.

My phono is a moded NAD PP-2 and both power supplies made the NAD sound diferent.

The unregulated made the NAD sound louder, more dynamics and the pace is faster(just a little) However, there's a slight loss of focus to the vocals and the highs sound a little less airy, bass more robust.

The regulated power supply made the NAD sound softer by volume, but crank up the pre a little and the focus on vocals is much better, the highs are cleaner but bass is leaner.

My guess would be if you listen a lot to rock and techno, or basically want more grunt from your music, then unregulated is more suitable, but if you're audiophile, focus and imaging is important and listen to mostly vocals or jazz quartets, then regulated would be the way to go.

I settled for regulated.

AndrewT said:
Hi Chris,
almost there, only lost one decimal place.
3k42 & 1n56F therefore use 3k3 & 1n5F.

Hi,

Any suggestion on parts?
What type and how many watts for the 3k3 resistor?
What voltage rating and type of capacitor for the 1n5F?

Would that be carbon resistor 3W?
Would that be film cap?

Sorry it take a little long since I reply you folks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.