Reed relays in passive volume control?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Gold contacts are used because gold resists corrosion better than almost any other metal. In a hermetically sealed relay (reed relays) this is not very important. It's too bad mercury contacts can no longer be found, tests indicated mercury had no sonic impact on a contact.

While gold has excellent corrosion resistance, its' sonic qualities are subject to debate, most fancy cables and wires no longer come with gold contacts.

I suspect that the Rhutenium or Rhodium would be more than just fine, they may actually be superior for sound quality. I have a great deal of faith in George Cardas, he uses Rhodium on all his better products.

My faith in George stems from the simple fact that any product of his I've used, did and performed exactly as he said it would. Additionally he has extensive documentation on his site about what has worked for him and usually why.

Commercial passive pre-amps that use relays face the same issues you face. To the best of my knowledge, all the better ones seem to work fine without the benefit of gold contacts.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.