NE5532 circuit. I need more bass. Help!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi, is that a bipolar cap? So I can bypass the 47uf with it? Thanks.

X7R is a ceramic multilayer so not polarized. However, may have distortion if used for audio coupling. It’s great for low ESR power supply bypassing though. NP0 or C0G ceramic is better for audio but only available in small picoF values.

There are larger film SMT caps (PPS) that sound good as audio coupling.

But will this really give me better bass?

No. The results will be psychoacoustic in nature only, no measurable acoustic improvement.

Without providing the group any measurements of your electronics and speakers or any information on your room, speakers or their placement, they are really at a loose end helping you with your problem. I'm amazed that you are focusing all your efforts on an exceptionally well designed DAC with superb measured performance and that others are suggesting that lowering already meaninglessly low levels of jitter will improve your bass response.

Your perceived poor bass performance is most likely speaker/room/placement related. It is as simple as that. Unfortunately you have received some pretty poor advice in this thread of yours. The notion that changing bypassing or clocks in a well designed DAC to improve bass quality/quantity is just ridiculous and does not stand up to any level of engineering scrutiny.

The Arcam either has a non flat response (Unlikely, but I have not checked) or the differences are psycho-acoustic only, and will disappear in a level matched blind test.

I kinda agree.

I have read about this clock replacement makes a big overall difference but not bass specially.

Also the Dacmagic is know for having flat bass!

Still appreciate all the advice!!

The clock upgrade may reduce the already inaudible levels of jitter on the data being fed into the DAC. There are far better ways to spend your time and money.

I would want the entire spectrum coming out of my electronics to be flat (crossover DSP excluded), not just the bass. The electronics (DACs, amps etc.) are not there to tailor the frequency response of my system. It's silly making up for a deficiency in your speakers/room/placement with your DAC.

Thank you it was actually the irDAC version 1. The bass was amazing on both my setup and my friends house.

We have different setups, amplifiers to spare too :)

The Dacmagic sound is clinical, Arcam warm.

To my ears the Arcam wins hands down. This thread was to add slightly more low end with the improvement of the opamps. I'm certain it can be done as I was helped before about a different amplifier and it worked amazingly. I appreciate the Amplifier and DAC are different but they use the same opamps

Ive been reading some more and this is what I found:

ClefChef wrote:
Analog output:
removed C269 and C264, those are HF filtering caps - snip snip.

rayma wrote:
You can try that right now, before working on the DAC.
Just increase the 47k to 200k in both channels of the amp.
It will improve the bass response. There should be no downside.

Does anyone know of these mods??? Thanks

You really need to check the relative frequency response of the DACs.
You should be able to do this with any DAW / Converter set up.
It could be that the ARCAM has a different response / fall off in the high end rather than the DACmagic being faulty in its bass response.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.