NE5532 circuit. I need more bass. Help!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys,

I previously got help on an old Amplifier with no name to increase bass with result so I thought I would try this circuit which is a Dacmagic that uses NE5532 chip.

The problem is the bass is just rubbish! I tried a friends newly purchased Arcam DAC for £150 and thought why does my Dacmagic lack the bass the Arcam has.

I presume the main opamps can be tuned rather than replaced to produce better bass. I use a XLR 3 pin connection which doesnt uses the other opamp for output but still the bass is just thin!

The only tuning I have done is replace the main DAC capacitor and removed the decoupling output capacitors. The sound improved in terms of clarity but honestly I like bass and it just sounded so thin in comparison :(

Please help!

Attachments

• dacmagic bass.jpg
    dacmagic bass.jpg
    604 KB · Views: 576
If it doesn't seem like there is enough bass sometimes it can be because there is too much HF distortion which makes the sound too bright, or sometimes bass can be weak if an opamp or dac chip is not getting enough low frequency power bypassing or otherwise doesn't have a low enough impedance path back to the power supply. If you look at the frequency spectrum with some test tones and or maybe using some pink noise you might be able to get a better idea of what is causing the problem. Usually it sounds better to find and fix the actual problem rather than trying to EQ up the bass instead.

Removing decoupling caps would be a bad idea, if anything you might need a lot more of them in larger sizes.

So how long ago had you replaced the capacitor you mentioned?

Many times things will be less than ideal for some time after new caps have been installed.

Something to try would be placing a .01 - .1uf film cap directly across the power pins on the op amps.

Hi Guys,

I previously got help on an old Amplifier with no name to increase bass with result so I thought I would try this circuit which is a Dacmagic that uses NE5532 chip.

The problem is the bass is just rubbish! I tried a friends newly purchased Arcam DAC for £150 and thought why does my Dacmagic lack the bass the Arcam has.

I presume the main opamps can be tuned rather than replaced to produce better bass. I use a XLR 3 pin connection which doesnt uses the other opamp for output but still the bass is just thin!

The only tuning I have done is replace the main DAC capacitor and removed the decoupling output capacitors. The sound improved in terms of clarity but honestly I like bass and it just sounded so thin in comparison :(

Please help!

"Rubbish" means nothing to me except you're not happy. How about some measurements? Pink noise, square wave response and sweeps can be very revealing. I use Adobe Audition 3 to make test signals all the time. I don't prefer Audacity but it does noise and tones and might do sweeps as well. Identifying response is far more useful.

Thanks for the inputs but some of what you guys are saying is a bit beyond me.

I'm not sure what the oscillator stage is!

The new caps actually improved the sound. The bass was always a bit shy/thin!

The unit is screwed back so internal photos are a bit difficult. I will open it back once a solution is found. It's a pain too has 20 screws at the back and 3 difficult ones internally.

I have a solder yourself oscilloscope I bought for £20 but don't really know how to use it.

I have read before about bypassing power pins with .1uf I will attempt this once I open it back up.

I read on a long thread to remove the decoupling caps to improve sound quality and it really did improve. It was discussed it's only for DC offset. There was none so I removed it.

Thanks guys

DC offset is related to coupling caps, not decoupling caps. Two different things. Decoupling caps are on the power pins. Coupling caps are in the signal path. Removing coupling caps may have helped to increase bass (at the risk of allowing some DC offset, of course).

That oscillator looks amazing! And hard to solder!
You could solder fine wires to the existing pcb holes/pads and then place/solder the osc module to those with tiny solder fillets...I'm not sure of your skill level and tools.

I'm more confident in soldering capacitors to be honest.
On closer inspection they look to have done some 'voicing' in the power supplies.....R400 & R401 are 56R 2W carbon resistors, R107 2R2 2W.

You could try swapping different resistor types here, ie 5W Wire Wound or Metal Film (4 x 220R 0.6W in parallel) for R400, R401 and 4 x 8R2 MF in parallel for R107.

These resistors are before PS regulation, decoupling, reticulation etc but they can have a subjective influence IME....easy to change and cheap....possibly worth trying provided your soldering skills are good.

Dan.

Joined 2011
Resistors are not too expensive either! But it it necessarily give better bass?

I think you have a different problem, but it's hard to say what. There is no LF rolloff
in that circuit, save the output coupling capacitors (not shown) that you have removed.

If there is normally an output DC voltage offset before the output capacitors, then removing
them could cause a problem.

Last edited:
I'm happy to try that too. Resistors are not too expensive either! But it it necessarily give better bass?
IME carbon resistors can add/cause a warm but slightly 'dirty' sound with diminished bass......ie reduced sense of 'power'.
I know that these resistors are way up the front of the power supply, but IME the LF/VLF noise of carbon resistors can cause an 'instability' that kills bottom end bass power and definition.
Quick, easy and cheap mod, you can try ceramic 5W/2W WW resistors or MF and see if you get a different sound and maybe more to your liking.

Dan.

Last edited:
It's about 1/f noise....good clocks minimise LF/close in (1/f) noise.
Stable clock sets 'solid foundation' in the reproduced sound.
Carbon resistors add 1/f noise.
1/f noise (clock induced noise included) causes IM and AM which serves to subjectively 'scatter' bass power and clarity.
TF are 1/f very noisy, decades more so than MF...why they would specify noisy resistors for the digital stages I am not certain.
The 1% MELF resistors in the analogue stages are suspect also....they can be carbon or MF and the schematic does not specify.

Dan.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.