Maxim DS1882 - the first of what may be many questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello analog line peoples,

I have it in my head to integrate the Maxim DS1882 into a preamp that is still, um, in my head.

I've hacked my way through some Arduino stuff, and have a twisted joshua tree running off the arduino for the past couple years.

I am not a programmer, just a copycat :rolleyes:

The digital portion is not the nature of my first question. I would like this new 'gem' to be capable of handling a balanced signal.

How can I handle balanced signals with the chip?

My assumption -
-one chip for each channel.
Left on each chip for positive (or visa versa)
Right on each chip for negative (or visa versa)
-and feed the same digital commands to both

seem correct? Can the chip handle a positive and negative swing?

and Thanks in Advance :)

https://datasheets.maximintegrated.com/en/ds/DS1882.pdf

hi PRR,

Well, you're right. I was just looking at the Muses chips datasheet, which names the pins L and R. I had L and R on the brain. Please replace Left and Right with '0' and '1'.

How would I use a pot? I would use four pots for balanced stereo.

I guess my concern was to do with the internal isolation of the individual pots, with one pot swinging positive, and the other pot swinging negative in the same chip.

Judging by your response, it is a non issue.

Thx

How can I handle balanced signals with the chip?

Being realistic, not one balanced attenuator reaches typical THD figures of a typical amplifier.
Just because you couldn’t find enough well balanced dual/quad potz.

So the one way to effectively attenuate differential signal and keeping differential connection is to simple:
Differential receiver (to reject common mode noise at the input) -> single-ended attenuation (for easy and not to distort the signal) -> fully-differential output (for providing equal output resistance and next block differential coupling).

That’s all.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
...I would use four pots for balanced stereo....

So use two dual pots ($3 each) and send the same bits to both.

Being realistic, not one balanced attenuator reaches typical THD figures of a typical amplifier.
Just because you couldn’t find enough well balanced dual/quad potz.....

I think your fingers got ahead of your fine mind- you mean CMRR, not THD.

And passive balanced attenuators were widely used in CMRR-critical applications (long broadcast lines) without major problem (albeit with the aid of high-CMRR transformers).

If degraded CMRR is causing raised THD, that is a different problem.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.