TDM 24CX-4 crossover: Op amp upgrade

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all :)

I own a (relatively old) TDM 24CX-4 crossover.
I've replaced all caps with Nichicon KZ and output caps with Vishay MKT1813.

The crossover sounds great but I would like to improve it yet a little bit further.

Op amps are a mix of TL072 and NE5532.

I know those are the "industry standards" and provide good performance in the right circuit, but I'm sure one can do better.

I really like LM4562 as a replacement for NE5532, and i've been suggested OPA2132 or OPA1642 as replacements for TL072 - or the more obvious TLE2072 "excalibur" chip.

I'm concerned tho that LM4562 might be a little bit too prone to oscillating; I used them in my CD player and had to fiddle a lot with local decoupling caps until it finally worked... there were 4 op amps so I didn't mind, but I'm not gonna repeat the process in a machine with around twenty NE5532 to upgrade.

So i'm joining here the schematics and board, maybe some of you guys can shime in and give me your opinion about that (risky / not risky)? If I could use the lm4562 without having to change the decoupling scheme i'd do it, otherwise not.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• cx2schver3.pdf
    118.7 KB · Views: 75
  • cx4layver2.pdf
    209.1 KB · Views: 67
LM4562 is rather sensitive to RF, I'd avoid that one. Keep the TL072s but first upgrade the PSU (its a bog-standard LM3x7 arrangement), secondly increase the impedance of any low impedance networks around the opamps to reduce load-induced noise on the rails. As a rule of thumb don't make a TL072 drive anything below 100k if you're after the best dynamics.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.