Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Another can of worms...
Another can of worms...
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th May 2018, 04:46 AM   #31
johnego is offline johnego  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by troystg View Post
All,

C18 and C19 are listed as .005uf (5000pF) caps.. I am switching to Wima caps and they don't have a .005uf in that physical size.

It's either 4700 or 6800 pF.

Any suggestions on which way I should go?

Since C16 should be twice the C18 (to maintain the proper transfer), there is a useful trick to use any value on C16 and use parallel of the same value on C18. So if C18 is 4.7nF, C16 is 2x 4.7nF (equal 9.4nF). In crossover design this is a neat trick (there are situations you need it) if your parts are small (e.g. SMD or 1/8W resistors, 63V capacitors).

Regarding the better values, I think it is more important to know which crossover frequency is better. If 5nF gives 113Hz then 4n7 will give higher frequency, which IMO is probably what you should want. (Because at 113Hz the initial speaker response might not be that flat)
Old 29th May 2018, 10:43 AM   #32
troystg is offline troystg  United States
diyAudio Member

Thank you both for the input and information! Much appreciated.
Old 30th May 2018, 08:44 PM   #33
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

4700 vs 5000 is 6% or one semi-tone. Very few crossovers need to be that exact. Driver capabilities suggest 400Hz or 600Hz for different goals; I can't think why 500Hz or 532Hz makes the least difference.

However, to be picky: take the cap you can get and then adjust the resistor value. Resistors are available in much narrower bins than capacitors. If, say, 5000p and 100K rings your bell, then 4700p and 106.38K hits the same point. (and 105K is all the same considering your "4700p" may be a few % out.)

Another can of worms...Hide this!Advertise here!