Anyone found/using any digital dynamic expanders?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm wondering if anyone has come across and is using a digital dynamic expander/decompressor in their audio chain? I was just thinking about the sought after vintage 3bx/4bx units that many still use and cherish for vinyl playback. With the advent of many cheap and powerful digital DSP boxes for live music, there is probably some box that can do it off the shelf, or perhaps even a programmed DSP solution?

Maybe this counts...?

I use a Behringer Ultrafex II which is an Exciter with processing for bass mid and treble and some dynamic processing.

I believe it's DSP and there may be both compression and expansion going on dynamically. It's very much a hands on and go by ear device in use.

Thanks for the tip, and it sounds like it doesn't do dynamic expansion.
I've spent a bit of time googling this, and it looks like the 3bx's and 4bx's were and still are the only standalone boxes that did what's called upward expansion in the recording world.
There are plugins that do it. I wonder if anybody has tried programming a microcontroller to do this?

Maybe a little naiive of me but...

I am not really all that familiar with anything modern and studio hardware quality. I have Behringer rack fx and they're good but not high end.
I have used several pieces of software that use Compression VSTs etc. Most of these have facility to expand dynamic range. Certainly the ancient cool edit DAW does. Probably goldwave or anything that uses VST plugins.

If you are ripping vinyl to wav then that would achieve what you wish and is in the digital domain. Failing that something like a hardware compressor MAY have expansion functionality.
I even have a veroboard analog expander for guitar pedal use somewhere

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.