Amplifier for Magnepan Second hand (NAD vs SONY ES vs New Sony)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just finished restoring a pair of magnepan 1.4. This is the model that doesn't allow biamping.

I'm now running them with a pioneer midi-set amplifier... suffice to say that this is hugely inadequate, and you can hear it.

I've been steered towards a second hand NAD amplifier (for around 50 euro's) This is mainly because I don't have the means to go out and buy the expensive new amplifiers, i have to make due

now, I've also have been looking at Sony ES series. In particular the Sony VA8ES and the Sony DA1200ES. The last one doesn't strike me as a ES series amplifier, especially since it was sold for 400 GBP only, but the first one seems to be a proper amp (albeit more than 20 years old).

Lastly I was also enticed with the new deals that are coming up on amazon. I might be able to stretch and get a warehouse deal with the 20% discount they are giving out now. But it wouldn't be an ES series Sony.

Now the question will be... what would be my best bet...
  1. a second hand NAD (10 years old, can be had between 50-100 euro).
  2. a second hand Sony ES (same price range would be about between 15 and 20 years old)
  3. a new Sony receiver/amplifier (non-es)

I'm also considering a Yamaha as500... which i can pick up for about a 100 eur. Would that be a good deal?

P.s. I've always been impressed by the top end Sony products I've owned. and thinking back, all the sony products that i've had have been impressive. Hence my slight bias, i'm open to suggestions though

Also, i'm looking into a media server/streamer. I was thinking about the Sony HAP-S1 but again, money constraints. I might opt to go for a cheap Pioneer media streamer (although i have a slight love hate with that brand) or a raspberry pi with volumio.... however any suggestions on Combination products (i.e. media server + amp) are highly valued

Last edited:
Stop messing around with "lame" amps :).
I have "Maggies" MG12-QR. The spec´s say 50-200 watt. That´s soooo not enough. You need an amp very strong current wise, and as a minimum 500 watt/4 ohm, if you really want your Magnepan to sing.
Currently using Advance Acoustic MAA-1000 X 2. This is a match made in heaven.
Now don´t say I didn´t warn you :) .-)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.