Potentiometer confusion.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not sure if this is in the right place, apologies if it is.
I'm in the process of completing a hidden audio system in my car (its a classic so trying to retain period looks) so far its a simple setup, switched jack plug for aux in and a Bluetooth unit hidden behind the dash, the BT feeds into the jack plug and the jack plug outputs go to a stereo audio log pot.
Just getting round to attaching the phono's for in and out feeds and in running a meter over it I think there may be a problem, it seems my left and right input are working in the same manner as the input and output should be (they still work correctly) measuring ohms between the left and right input, turning the pot I see between 0 and its max, struggling to figure where I've gone wrong.

From the stereo jack my left output goes to pin 2 on the pot, the right jack output to pin 5 on the pot, pot outputs are from pin 3 and 6, as for earths the stereo jack has one output so that is linked to pins 1 and 4, these then link out to the phonos as well...

Is the earth side wrong and causing this?

I do, seems I followed a wrong diagram, my inputs are on the centre pin and the out to the amp on the outer pin, would that cause me to see a varying resistance linked to wiper position between the two middle pins?
FRNRIFHJ1QPAYE3.LARGE.jpg

You have it wrong but the diagram has it right.

You have it wrong but the diagram has it right.

Yes seems most image searches show this way, unfortunately I followed the first web link which was a wikihow page which describes the second terminal as input and the third as output... I'll correct this now.

You'd see that because the shields of the two channels are connected
Is this going to create an issue or just normal?

Really appreciate all the advice and pointers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.