XLR input "circuit breaker"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all,
I encountered a problem that doesn't seem unique but I can't find a good solution.

I have a Bryston BHA-1 headphone amp that I also use preamp outs (XLR) to powered monitors.
The issue is that if I want to listen to headphones, I have to turn off the monitors, which is a bit of an annoyance as its on the back.
One option (that I dont love) is to connect the monitors to a power strip and turn them on/off from a single button.

I was thinking of a some small unit with 1 in/1 out, with a toggle on the front that I could cut the signal to the speakers whenever I wanted.
What would I need for that?
Thanks!

Thanks Kevin.
Since I'm truly amateur here:
1) Do I need a switch with 3 poles, or do I connect the ground directly from input to output, and only switch on + and - ?
2) For highest quality signal transfer, are there specific switches that are higher quality/ better materials?

pins 2 & 3 carry the signal.
They need to be switched.
Breaking the signal circuit by cutting one of those signal lines disables the signal circuit and will prevent normal signal transmission. The Receiver will try hard to find another route to complete the input circuit and whatever it finds will then amplify all those noises and crap will exit the output.
Better to isolate at least one pole and then short pins 2 to 3 so that the input to the receiver is really zero volts.

Pin 1 on ALL the XLRs go direct to the enclosure.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.