volume attenuate circuit design help please

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would like to build a volume attenuator circuit for my valve amp which will be controlled by an arduino. I have a circuit design thanks to this site

Audio Volume Relay Attenuator with IR Control

I understand how the attenuator works but need some help with the relay sequencing. How do I work out what relay should be on for a set value to give a -1db step volume control. I have a table which gives the voltage out from the attenuator for each db with a supply of 5v on the input. I have put this on a simulator and it could be worked out but with 60 steps this will take a long time. Is there an easier way to work this out? Any help will be appreciated.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member

Attachments

• steve8428.gif
    steve8428.gif
    16.4 KB · Views: 240
Thanks i did read through this and the other pages by Jos but being slow I missed the point that each relay represented the db table below the relay network. Its clear now they are connected in a bit formation and i understand how to use the calculator once this was understood. Just needed a push in the right direction. will need to look at programming code on an arduino now, thanks for the help

great thanks will have a read. I know a few people have used PICs i am would like to use an arduino as I find them easy to program with what i have

just noticed the forum you sent is being controlled by an arduino. This will be interesting read

Last edited:
Cheers ElFishi that gives me another thread to read over. I hove gone through the other two threads and picked up some great help form them. Just ordered my MCP23008 8 bit expander to start practicing on the code. Already have a 16 arduino relay board for practicing. Looking forward to building this, i do like the look of MAXW and Olegsh.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.