Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

How do i create second harmonic distortion?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th November 2017, 11:52 AM   #11
filthyone is offline filthyone
diyAudio Member

I tried in audacity, i couldn't find that specific "distortion" plugin, but i tried "diode processor" using half wave settings. To my ears, at low levels the distortion is not that bad, it's kind of bearable. At higher levels it just sounds distorted, and at full wave settings it is just unbearable.
I alse tried "harmonic generator" with similar results. Odd order harmonics just sound harsh and evil, even order harmonics are more bearable (especially low order, the higher you go in order, the worse it gets) but still sound distorted/bad.

I'm already wondering, who and why would prefer a slightly distorted signal over a nice and clean one? (except maybe guitar players)
Old 5th November 2017, 11:57 AM   #12
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

I've no idea. If you are reproducing the harmonics already in the music (impossible not to) there is no reason to add more
Old 5th November 2017, 02:41 PM   #13
Mr Evil is offline Mr Evil  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by filthyone View Post
...I'm already wondering, who and why would prefer a slightly distorted signal over a nice and clean one? (except maybe guitar players)
A possible reason is that people prefer to listen to the sound that they are used to. So someone who grew up when thermionic valves were the height of technology will enjoy the sound of 2nd harmonic distortion.
Old 5th November 2017, 04:05 PM   #14
Carl_Huff is offline Carl_Huff  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by filthyone View Post
Hi everyone,
as the title suggests, i want to create (on purpose) second harmonic distortion, preferably on a line signal level...
Here you go. This what you are looking for ... You Can DIY! Build the Mojo Maestro
Old 5th November 2017, 04:11 PM   #15
MarcelvdG is offline MarcelvdG  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

In GoldWave you can simply enter an equation like wave(n)+x*wave(n)*wave(n) and then adjust x until you have the amount of distortion you want.
Old 5th November 2017, 04:45 PM   #16
Fast Eddie D is offline Fast Eddie D  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Evil View Post
A possible reason is that people prefer to listen to the sound that they are used to. So someone who grew up when thermionic valves were the height of technology will enjoy the sound of 2nd harmonic distortion.
And there's your answer: tubes.

A lot of guitarists love their tube amps because they contribute so much ("euphomic" distortion) to the tone. The "classic" live rock sound is just big stacks of big speakers driven by an array of 60-120 watt tube amps.
Old 5th November 2017, 06:31 PM   #17
cbdb is offline cbdb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
I've no idea. If you are reproducing the harmonics already in the music (impossible not to) there is no reason to add more
This is way to common. Removing the recording chain from the playback chain. Its one chain .
Moving a mic or an instrument can change the harmonic content being recorded.(not to mention using different mics or EQ etc.) Its up to the recording engineer. If I like more harmonics than the engineer, why not add them? I have no problem with that. Personally I want to hear what the artists and production team heard in the mix session. Unfortunately thats impossible so the closest I can come is the straight wire for the electronics part. Even thats a guess,they may have used tube amps to mix to.
Old 5th November 2017, 06:33 PM   #18
cbdb is offline cbdb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie D View Post
And there's your answer: tubes.

A lot of guitarists love their tube amps because they contribute so much ("euphomic" distortion) to the tone. The "classic" live rock sound is just big stacks of big speakers driven by an array of 60-120 watt tube amps.
??? Then run your music thru a guitar amp with the drive cranked. See how long that lasts in your system.
Old 5th November 2017, 06:37 PM   #19
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

You can only add harmonics to the recording as a whole, what does that achieve? Far better to adjust the sound to your preference or make up for a lacking mix with equalisation
Old 5th November 2017, 06:41 PM   #20
Mark Johnson is offline Mark Johnson  United States
diyAudio Member

Using an opamp, three resistors, and two diodes, build an inverting amplifier circuit whose gain is -2X for the upper half of the input waveform, and whose gain is -4X for the lower half of the input waveform. Voila, 2nd harmonic distortion. Works best for line level signals as requested in post #1.

How do i create second harmonic distortion?Hide this!Advertise here!