Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

How To Make Passive High Pass Filter?
How To Make Passive High Pass Filter?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st October 2017, 01:20 PM   #22
DEAFASABAT is offline DEAFASABAT  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacao ambiance View Post
oow goodie help already!

was hoping for something generic that i can swap between amps.
I use tpa3116/8, irs2092,tpa3250, tas5611, tpa3255, tk2050. I mainly use the tpa3116 black board for these speakers. I have attached the 2 Input Impedance related pages from the datasheet for the tpa3116. next looks like i need to find out what gain resistors are used to know the Input Impedance, right?

next ill get photos of the speakers
If you do come up with a working passive high pass network, it could be interchangeable only if the amps' input impedances are all the same. Possible, not too likely. Better to have a tailored network for each amp you use. -daab-
Old 31st October 2017, 01:25 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceulrich View Post
Hello cacao ambiance,

If I understand your question correctly, I had a similar issue a while ago. Due to room placement, my right speaker had a bit more low bass output than the left speaker, so I wanted to tame down the one with more output. My solution was to insert a capacitor between the output of my preamp and the input of the power amplifier for the right channel. I worked up a little spreadsheet to calculate the capacitance needed for the known input impedance of the power amplifier.

The first figure shows the simple schematic and the calculations for determining the -3dB frequency. The second figure calculates and plots the response curve.

In my case I used a pair of 0.1 MFD MusicCaps in series to get 0.05 MFD or 50 nF, which I thought was close enough to the calculated 47 nF for this application. This solution worked fine to tame the low bass output so the two speakers were better matched.

I hope this will be of some help.

Cheers,

ceulrich
So a first order, 6db/octave function did the trick? If so, it makes it fairly easy vs. implementing a second or higher order filter.
Old 31st October 2017, 01:35 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Fast Eddie D wrote: "With passive you're pretty much stuck with 3 dB/octave. Otherwise go active."

Should be 6db/octave, using just one capacitor.
-daab-

Last edited by DEAFASABAT; 31st October 2017 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Loose nut behind keyboard
Old 31st October 2017, 06:16 PM   #25
Fast Eddie D is offline Fast Eddie D  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEAFASABAT View Post
Fast Eddie D wrote: "With passive you're pretty much stuck with 3 dB/octave. Otherwise go active."

Should be 6db/octave, using just one capacitor.
-daab-
Yes, you're correct. I'm thinking -3dB frequency.

And I was proven wrong anyway, with the link to second order passive filters.
Old 4th November 2017, 04:15 AM   #27
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie D View Post
With passive you're pretty much stuck with ....
Aside from the 3/6 typo---

ANY order passive filter can be built.

With caps and coils, any filter function can be done.

With only R-C (no coils), high-order filters are pretty lame (instead of a corner they roll off very slow).

In audio, where coils are extravagant, active filters are miracle workers.

How To Make Passive High Pass Filter?Hide this!Advertise here!