Analog input switch using 12V relays and trigger out

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking to build an automatic R/L Analog 4 in 2 out switch box that uses relays and the 12V trigger out to automatically perform the switching. Does anyone see any issues with this? I'm thinking about something super simple, RCA female ports and a couple DPTP relays making the physical connections.

Basically I use the same Power amps and speakers for my Front R/L & Subwoofers in multi channel and stereo, however my sources, preamp and DAC's are entirely different for 2 channel and HT multi.

The theory being if I turn on my 2 channel pre the trigger out flips the relays to input itself as the source and visa-versa with my HT preamp.

I bought a $20 RCA switch box with a remote off of Amazon to do this, but it clearly introduces noise that I can hear and looking at the specs of most of these boxes they are in the -65 DB SNR, not acceptable. I think I can build better, but i'm open for suggestions or caveats if anyone has any.

Thank You.

Last edited:
-Use relays suitable for small signals, such as relays with gold-clad contacts or reed relays. When you use big relays meant for switching heavy loads, the contact is likely to go bad after a few years.

-Add 1 Mohm resistors from the inputs to ground, just in case you ever want to connect it to a source with AC coupled output that doesn't have its own output bias resistor.

-Maybe include a freewheeling diode if you want the control input to be hot swappable without any sparks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.