Buffer for Pass' LXmini OX/EQ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Lx Crossover questin

Hi Nelson/kind Sirs,

Sorry if this is a newbee question, but that's what i am!!! ...Would it be possible to use the LxMini or Studio crossover that you will be supplying for Driving a Fostex Fe206/BMS tweeter Combo housed in an approved Fostex enclosure
(Till i get the funds to purchase a LXmini )

Thanks as ever

Johnny

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Actually, the LXmini crossover board is well suited for FR speakers
mated with woofers. You just alter the filter values. It's like a B5 with
one more bit of flexibility on the top end EQ.

Similarly with the +w and Studio versions if you are going 3 way.

There is enough documentation that you can plug values into a simulator
like MicroCap and play with it. I mention MicroCap because it has a free
student edition and is very easy to play with on existing template circuits.

I plan to post some files for this purpose.

great to hear it is so near, I am looking at the LXmini+2 option, is the 3 way XO also planned at the same time?

Also, my DAC and Power amps are all XLR balanced, is the circuit suited to this and could XLR's be fitted instead of RCA's?

thanks

The current status of the LXmini crossover is that I am waiting for some
potentiometers to arrive while packing up the kits to go to the DIYaudio
store. 100 should ship by end of next week.

Kit consists of pcb, packet of 16 selected/matched Jfets + resistors specific
to them, and the rest of the resistors, capacitors and pots needed.

This is powered by a 24V wall wart and fits in the store's Galaxy 2u
230 x 230 chassis. Management is planning a rear panel with holes for
8 rca and power connector.

Documentation will be posted shortly.

I just finished the Jfet gain stage required by the LXmini+2 and Studio,
so this will also be appearing before very long.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
great to hear it is so near, I am looking at the LXmini+2 option, is the
3 way XO also planned at the same time?

Also, my DAC and Power amps are all XLR balanced, is the circuit suited
to this and could XLR's be fitted instead of RCA's?

The LXmini+2 and the LXmini Studio are nearly identical, and they are
3 way crossovers. However they are dedicated to those speakers, and
except for level controls are not adjustable unless you stuff them with
different RC filter values.

All the stereo designs for RCA can be run balanced as mono - just use
XLR's instead of RCA's.

Alternatively, circuits which convert balanced input to single-ended and
circuits which convert single-ended to balanced could be made available.

The LXMini and the ASP is a collaboration made in heaven by two heavy weights of the audio industry each in their own area of expertise.
I have bought the plans from Mr SL since 2 years ago but have been holding back on building them because of the previous non availability of an analog DSP option.
Would it be possible for DIYAUDIO or OPLUG Members whom have already bought the LXMini License to prepay a format of deposit to secure the LXMini +2 3-way ASP stock before launch?

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
That would be up to DIYaudio management.

I don't see a shortage though. Initial offering is qty 100 pcb+fet kits and
100 pcb+fet+resistors+caps. I don't know the specific timeline for the
Galaxy 2u 230x230 chassis with the rear panel holes, but it should be
pretty quick.

I'm sending those first 200 pcb+ kits out in a week or so.

After that, I have 150,000 Jfets and a big pcb manufacturer standing by...

:cheers:

Two years you've been missing out on enjoying the LXmini system for lack of a non-DSP option? :)

Dave.

I have been waiting about three and half years for a analog option. I do not like any of the DSP options that use mini-dsp products.

I prefer the Par-Metal enclosures over the HiFi2000 enclosures. I have not been able to get a black anodize enclosure from Par-Metal since they had a fire.

Account Closed
Joined 2001
I have been waiting about three and half years for a analog option. I do not like any of the DSP options that use mini-dsp products.

I prefer the Par-Metal enclosures over the HiFi2000 enclosures. I have not been able to get a black anodize enclosure from Par-Metal since they had a fire.

There are numerous LXmini users who utilize non-miniDSP DSP products. It's a bit cumbersome to transfer the settings in some cases, but it's certainly doable.
However, I gather your issue is with ANY DSP products in this application. It's a fair point.
As a strictly analog solution, the Pass version probably represents the top of the heap, since op-amp versions might not be acceptable to some as well.

Although not official, I'm aware of about a half-dozen users who have implemented the crossover/EQ (a simplified version) at speaker level. (Myself included.)

Regardless, as I've mentioned on the OPLUG forum a few times. The ASP/DSP/whatever line-level implementation is a smallish percentage of the conceptual/engineering scheme that went into the LXmini design. The idiom....to (not) see the forest for the trees....is applicable here.

Dave.

Is miniDSP soooo bad, gentlemen ? I'm just considering it for everything (room, EQ, crossover, DAC) for my big active 3-way but I recently ran into posts where some people really dislike it - just want to know, why and if there're better recommended versions, what would be those ?

Other question is the alternatives. Room HAS to be corrected somehow. Shall we play around with extensive room modding, or chop the woofer's baffles due to complete redesign, etc.. ? ;) SOME kind of DSP is needed I think, our ears is still mostly sensitive to amplitude. I thought I'll be just fine with a 24/96 capable miniDSP miniSHARC (i2S in-out) with a 8-channel 24/96 DAC. At least for the very beginning. Now I reconsider again based on what I read here and elsewhere.. Any advice.. ? :scratch:

There are quite a few offerings that minidsp has. Much of the audio quality seems to come from people who bought the original 2x4 miniDSP. It worked, but many didn’t think the sound quality was audiophile grade. They have come out with a multitude of different models since then. All improved on the original model. They are trying to make affordable units that people are willing to buy, so they are designing to a certain price point. Like always there are compromises.

Understand. Sounds legit. Could you recommend me a more high-end DSP brand with at least the same functionality.. ? Money is certainly not unlimited for me either but I'm willing to check more expensive alternatives in favor of sound quality. (I know it's a bit off here but I really just need some recommendations from the other end of the ruler and then I can study them too). Thanks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.