Adding AUX to old Sony Tape Stereo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I'm new here to the forum, so I hope to be posting in the right section.

I ended up getting an old Sony CMT EP303 micro system from a friend and as I had no use for it and as I got it for free, I decided that it wouldn't hurt to see if I could manage to add an AUX input to it.

I had no vast knowledge of electronics but I know enough not to break things, so I opened it and simply found and intercept the tape's signal into the board.
There I put my wire with my input. Simple as that.

It works as long as I have the tape running. To avoid noise I keep it on play and pause at the same time (if I stop the tape it cuts the audio) but that's not a major issue.

The issue that I came in search for help is:
I know that the signal level that my phone or TV (or whatever is plugged to the AUX) is stronger than the signal that comes from the tape deck. So, what happens is that if turn the volume up on the device that is inputting above 60% or so I get clipping noise, crackling. It's just no good.
As a workaround I have the mini system with its volume to max and then I control volume through the device in AUX. It does work but it is not enough as I would like to go louder (usually when watching movies and using the system instead of the TV speaker).

The question is: what can be done to control the signal so I can turn it up without exceeding the threshold for the amplifier? (assuming that this is the issue.. I think you guys would know better)

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I suspect that what you have done so far has a problem and that you are in fact 'paralleling' your input across the tape output which is a no no for several reasons.

If you can come up with a circuit diagram then adding a line input should be fairly straightforward.

However you do this really involves breaking the feed you want to apply your new audio input to. Having done that you could easily arrange a switch and extra sockets on the rear of the unit to select between line input or normal operation.

And welcome to diyAudio :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.