Lightspeed Attenuator volume problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone !

I've build a Lightspeed attenuator, designed by George Stantscheff (Thank you !)

DIY Lightspeed Attenuator - Passive LDR Volume Control (optocouplers)

Same componant, LDR matched with LED Tester and DMM.

My power amplifier : DIY Firstwatt F5
My Source : Musical Fidelity VDAC2, Output Imp : 47Ohm / VOut : 2,2V
My Speaker : Fullrange Fostex FE166EN Backloadhorn

PC --> V-DAC2 --> B1 with Ladder pot --> F5 -- > Speaker Fostex : OK

PC --> V-DAC2 --> Lightspeed Attenuator --> F5 --> Speaker Fostex : Volume Too high, with no control !!

But ... problem with the volume control.

100k pot not affect the volume level :(
Low or high position of the pot, always at full power ... No difference.

I've control my solder joint, wiring etc.

Are you any idea ?

Thank you very much for your precious help !

Sancho

Here's the circuit diagram, double check make sure it's the same, you only need one trimpot on the louder of the two channels to do the final channel calibration with.

Cheers George

Attachments

• Lightspeed Attenuator MkII Circuit Diagram.jpg
    Lightspeed Attenuator MkII Circuit Diagram.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 400
"100k pot not affect the volume level
Low or high position of the pot, always at full power ... No difference."

You obviously have some thing wired wrong.

To hard to tell from these pics, better off tracing and drawing yours, then we may see where you've gone wrong.

BTW way mods!!! I'm not getting email notifications when a post is made, yet my instant email notification box is checked?

Cheers George

Last edited:
Check the NSL. Does the cathode lead (coloured dot) connect to the 0V?

Measure the DC voltage along the control circuit. Start at the regulator, then the pot, then the NSL. Rotate the pots to see if the voltages change.

Measure the resistance over the NSL at different pot positions.

Please fix the audio wiring, that is not the way to do it.

Last edited:
As mark said make sure about the dot (cathode) on the NSL's goes to negative of the supply, if not you would have blown the leds in all the NSL (now junk)
If it does go to negative of the supply, then look to make sure the the negative has nothing to do with the rca/chassis earth. See my circuit above the negative of the supply is NOT together with the chassis earth/rca.

Cheers George

Hi Everyone and thank you for your many response !

Cathode of the NSL (Dot side) is on the negative side of the PSU.

And yes, the RCA (-In & -Out) aren't wiring on the negative side of the power supply.

I use the same typon, like this
With
Mesure

Resistor in the 4xNSL varying between 0Ohm and +/- 11KOhm

MesureV.jpg

Use a 8 pin dip gold sockets is a great idea !

I finaly found the mistake on my build of the Lightspeed attenuator ! Trank you ;)

Label "In" and "GND" are reverse on one of the side, on the typon.

0% of pot = No sound
5% = Loud
10% = Very loud

@ 2,5% of the pot ... :spin::spin::spin::spin::up: VERY Very great with my Firstwatt F5 vs Buffer B1 !

But, I've a second "problem" .....
Are you any idea to increase the "smooth" of the volume control ?

Thank you

Last edited:
But, I've a second "problem" .....
Are you any idea to increase the "smooth" of the volume control ?

Thank you

Your speakers are very efficient 96dB you need to either reduce the source output or the gain of the amps.

BTW did you use a 100kohm logarithmic pot for the led volume control? If you used a linear this is your problem.

Cheers George

Last edited:

BTW way mods!!! I'm not getting email notifications when a post is made, yet my instant email notification box is checked?

Cheers George
I have reported a similar problem over the last couple of years.
I don't have email notification turned on. Instead I use the search function built into "User CP - Subscribed Threads"
This search misses out some of my subscriptions and does not return them in the search.
It appears to be subscriptions in very old Threads that is causing the problem. It's as if the Forum software turns OFF the subscription when it becomes very old.
So far they have refused to correct the problem.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.