Ever Recycled a Pre-amp From an AVR for DIY Power Amp (Audio)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anyone ever recycled a pre-amp from an AVR to use with a custom/DIY power amp design?

My DAC consists of an ES9028Pro + Amanero (32bit/384kHz & Native DSD up to DSD512) w/ TCXO Golden Oscillators on the way for a small upgrade on the Amanero).

I am also doing a quadraphonic MX50 SE x4 (mono-block style shown below). I haven't found any preamps up to my standards that are available as kits or even just a labeled PCB haha, if anyone has a schematic to recommend please do!!

If not I am going to take my Dremel tool with a carbide cutting bit and cut this sucker up so I can tap each pre-amp individually.

Attachments

• First Pics of DSD Case or ChassisSmallest.jpg
    First Pics of DSD Case or ChassisSmallest.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 264
  • Onkyo 6Ch PreAmp AVR_Pull_Pic1smallest.jpg
    Onkyo 6Ch PreAmp AVR_Pull_Pic1smallest.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 266
  • Onkyo 6Ch PreAmp AVR_Pull_Pic2Smallest.jpg
    Onkyo 6Ch PreAmp AVR_Pull_Pic2Smallest.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 267
  • 20170812_130527Smallest.jpg
    20170812_130527Smallest.jpg
    587.1 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:
Your goals (and skills) are far above mine :) I look foward to hearing of your results. I own an inexpensive HTR (collecting dust). They offer so many options for audio. While I went for separate amps, they must be usable for lower-powered multi-amping a pair of speakers. If you feed it with (e.g.) HDMI from a suitable media PC, you don't even need any other hardware between the PC and the speakers.

Now the trick is going to be figuring out which trace is what, at least it's not a multi-layer PCB.

Note: I tried to cut this preamp with a circular cutting disk for wood and it was barely moving due to the metal found throughout the cut. I immediately switched to my carbide cutting bit with my Dremel 4200 w/ Flexshaft and that made it easy cutting. Also.... ALWAYS WEAR EYE PROTECTION DURING CUTTING!!

20988427-10104672044098089-7291161374551219052-o.jpg

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.