Clean 2 channel "mixer"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I must be searching the wrong keyboards as I feel this is something that was solved a long time ago.

I want to combine two line level outputs into a single line level output. No adjustments necessary just take two and combine into one. Have decently high end gear so don't want to sacrifice any audio quality. Very simple audio combiner circuits can be found but from conversations I have had prior suggest there needs to be a split rail power supply and something done different with the opamps in order to have untouched signal. I can not find schematics for this.

Also do not want to spend couple hundred on a mixer. I did find a 2 channel mixer for $70 CAD though. But figure I can build something for cheap using screw terminals, some opamps, a PSU and a 3d printed enclosure. Just need a schematic to follow now.

Joined 2011

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Two resistors, as Rayma says, is the "obvious" answer.

There is "mixing loss". However for two similar signals at once there is signal pile-up. So the volume change is often small. In nearly any full system, there is a knob somewhere you can turn from 4.0 to 4.5 and get desired signal again.

The fancy solutions with opamps and power supplies are for situations where you must mute or disconnect or fade some channels without messing the ones you leave in the mix. Especially when you get past 2 or 4 inputs. Your problem description does not give any reason to go there.

The real fault is "it does not cost enough". People think you have to spend hundreds of dollars to mix signals. No, they WILL mix if given any chance. Or fight, which is why Rayma says two resistors, and 5K-10K is a fine value for this case.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.