Amplifier selector switch - ideas?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My audio system consists of a single set of inputs driving two separate amp/speaker systems:

AKSA 55n - solid state driving Vandersteens
TubeLab SimpleSE driving Pensil 10p speakers

Both amp speaker systems have their own pros and cons. I love the SSE in single-ended mode for intimate, simple music such as "Celtic" folk, and jazz and classical quartets, etc. However, more complex orchestral and rock music sounds muddy (to me) and some CD's simply sound atrocious (e.g. sting's 10 Summoners Tales).

The solid-state AKSA/Vandersteen combo works wonderfully with the musical styles that the SSE/Pensil combo doesn't do so well with.

Right now, I simply swap interconnects between the output of my passive-pre (source selector/volume) and my amp/speaker combo of choice. It works great, but I'd like to build a switch into the passive-pre to save me continually disconnecting interconnects.

At any time, I only use a single amp/speaker combo. I switch off the amp I am not using.

Any switch would need to fully disconnect the amp not being used so that if I were to leave it switched on, it'd simply see a disconnect. I am very good about switching off the unused amp, but want a switch system to be failsafe.

I suppose I need a 4-pole double-throw switch don't I?

Are there any switches that might be considered "audiophile" quality?

Any ideas?

Charlie

Audiophile quality? A switch is a set of contacts that either make or break and so long as the current and voltage is a suitable value, that is it. Everything else is just looks and overpricing.
I would use a two pole double throw switch. In, from either source, is the outer contacts and the load or amplifier input will be the wipers.

So, I'd simply switch the signal wires from both L&R sources? This would mean that the grounds for each amp would be permanently connected (unswitched). Are there any problems with this? Obviously, I'd not want either amp to see the other on its signal input, but maybe this doesn't really matter anyway?

Charlie

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.