Crossover for Bluetooth 2.1 System - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd May 2017, 03:25 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Crossover for Bluetooth 2.1 System

Have what I think is a relatively simple question but can't seem to find the answer. I'm looking to build a portable, battery powered 2.1 bluetooth system. I've seen some purpose built 2.1 amp, but they all seem to be too cheap, from off brands, and get lousy reviews. I want to spend the extra $20 - $30 to get two dedicated amps, one stereo, one mono, from a reputable company like sure electronics.

Given that I'm purpose building the system, it seems like a crossover at the line level would be the way to go, between the bluetooth receiver and the two amps. Is there a reason why I can't find anyone doing this on the web? Is it really as simple as slapping something like this together:

TLS.org | Passive Line-Level Crossover

Or will I get too much signal loss? I'm perfectly happy to build an active crossover if necessary, and I've seen circuits at places like ellott sound products. Just want to know if thats overkill. Thanks!
Old 2nd May 2017, 08:32 PM   #2
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

With bootooth and amps in hand, it would cost you about 2 bucks to just try it.

If you follow the math the "loss" may be negligible.

The usual drawback of passive R-C filtering is very soft corners. Because you give no clue what speakers, I can't even speculate whether this will matter.
Old 8th May 2017, 11:47 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I have tried passive crossover for my amps before and the signal loss is big(more than half of loudness). Especially if the source is line level. Note that the output of the bluetooth module is just enough to drive your amp at full power, when you add a passive crossover, you may not achieve the full power of your amp. You may want to build an active crossover like this:
2.1 channel crossover circuit – tataylino.com

Hide this!Advertise here!