TGMC - a modular control pre-amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looksy what arrived today :)

Attachments

• IMG_0161.JPG
    IMG_0161.JPG
    788.1 KB · Views: 394
Gareth, try mounting your transformers back to back so the magnetic field around them cancels, it makes a world of difference killing any stray magnetic fields near sensitive circuits.

I tried to solve an "earth hum" in my amplifier that used two toroidal transformers for years only to find that mounting one up-side-down onto the other killed the hum dead.

DC component of mains removal ( it was mentioned ). If you take a 35 or 50 amp bridge recticier where the + and - pins are joined you have a very cheap set of forward and reverse biased diode of circa 1.4 V kick in voltage. As they are back to back even a 100 PIV device could work as the most the diodes should see is 1V per diode. This is part one of the DC blocker.

Next take some non polar caps ( other people don't bother and take the risk of the low voltage being OK in reverse bias ). Use the ripple ratings. For example a 1000 uF 16V might be 800mA. I would tend to say 10 000uF regardless. These are connected across the spare rectifier terminals. The device is connected to the live feed ( or neutral would work ) as if a fuse in series with the transformer.

If you try to measure a voltage across the caps when in use I doubt you will if reasonably generous with uF. Using the big 600V 50 amp bridges can be no more expensive than 6 amp devices. ESP Audio show the how and why. It strikes me the phase shifts etc are likely to be worrying with some permutations. As yet any I built oversized to the recipe above seem to have worked. They are always for friends who could not live with the hum. Some technical explanations I read seem unlikely. The one I take as possible is Delta connected three phase supplies where neutal shifts to make a DC component are the cause. My feeling is most houses are supplied very near to the house via a transformer. This should remove any DC component. The one it can't is three phase imbalance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.