Analog way to Highpass my LS3/5a

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi everyone, I use P3ESR harbeth and need more headroom. I use a rel t5i subwoofer which use high level input. this elimiinate the use of DSP to highpass my harbeth to my sub. for people who are not familiar with REL, rel use high level input which connects to the terminals of your amp.

what I need is at the speaker terminals some kind of highpass for my p3esr.

any help would be very welcome!

The simplest way (depending on how you see it) would be to build an op amp based high pass filter and use this between the source and amplifier, or in the tape loop. Down side to this is that the crossover filter and natural bass roll off of the ls3 are likely to combine to an extent depending on the exact Fc, and result in a combined rolloff nearer 24bB/Oct. (Most sub amps I am aware of use 12dB/Oct low pass filters). This will make matching thw drivers responses troublesome.

The 'simple' way: a capacitor or C and L combination for a 'simple' passive implementation will be even more work, in all likelihood. The resonance at Fb of the LS3 will introduce a large impedance spike that will make tuning the filter and achieving the desired response difficult.

Easiest solution in my eyes (although not that easy) would be to build both a low pass and High pass filter with the same Fc using op amps, and use this before both the LS3 and sub. I can't say how well that woukd work either.

Of course if your sub has 24dB/Oct low pass then you have a much easier job.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.