How to determine what value Pot (attenuator)???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I agree.
A buffered vol pot is hard to beat.

I built a board with an Alps stereo potentiometer ALPS 100KAX2 100K Ohm Audio Taper Stereo Potentiometer 6mm Shaft and buffered output. It's all on a very small board. You can change the gain with on board jumpers.

It works great. Putting the buffer right next to the pot means that you can run long leads to the next circuit without making your volume control act like a tone control too. You can use this module to drive line level output jacks.

I wish you had! :D

The post above hits all the highlights. Also that the "perfect" passive attenuator would contain a buffer on the output. ;) This is what I think when I read the passive attenuator thread. There's a very good reason that no commercial designs ever put a pot right on the output. You're basically limited to a 10K pot, which is too low of an input impedance for universal line level applications. You gotta shoot for that 47K input impedance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.