Best Selector Switch? ..Advice plz!

Which one is the way to go? (Plz vote!)

• Total voters
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Wikkid
have a look at AJT's link.
That style of switch is made by dozens of manufacturers. Some are enclosed like that one some have exposed contacts.
Most have 12 contacts. You buy one with a different number of wipers.
12 contacts and 1 wiper gives you a 11 way, or 12way, single pole switch and some are available as break before make and some as make before break. and some give you a choice at time of order.
12contacts with 2 wipers gives you a 6way 2pole switch again with choices.
12contacts with 3 wipers gives you a 4way 3pole switch again with choices.
12contacts with 4 wipers gives you a 3way 4pole switch again with choices.
There are probably a few other variations.
Some have a relocatable pin that limits the rotation to fewer than the maximum, this tends to be done on the single pole version or the 2pole version.

You choose the one you want. They come in a range of prices from a couple of dollars to a few hundred dollars.

Last edited:
By george I think I've got it!

After reading above over and over, and a lot of cogitating...
Mainly as I began to suspect, I opened one and looked at it while contemplating all the different elements of the part number, pondering Anderew's and Bill's breakdowns...
It suddenly all made sense.
Nothing like the visual aid thing...

To wit:
"12contacts with 2 wipers gives you a 6way 2pole switch with choices."
This would be the configuration I need with this switch..
Connecting one of several sources to one output, X 2 channels.
The "choice" being to limit it to 4 sources... due to my particular application (the photo in my earlier post).
(I suppose I could even have 1 or 2 "secret".. non indicated sources by not limiting the switch to 4)

"12 contacts and 1 wiper gives you a 11 way, or 12way, single pole switch"
A potential application for this configuration might be: Supplying power to 12 (or 11?) devices, one at a time..
By connecting the power source to each device.

"12contacts with 3 wipers gives you a 4way 3pole switch"
Potential app for this config: Connecting a single source to 2 tape machines..

Have I passed the "quiz on monday"??

The only thing left that confounds me is nomenclature rather than concept...

In the ADJN suffix..
The D specifies adjustable stops.... but isn't that redundant due to the previous D in the first segment of the part number?

Also the J... or again, the value of J..
It must be in the spec sheets, but I failed to notice it when studying those sheets the other evening...
Admittedly I was a bit overwhelmed then, though...

So PN 44D30-02-2-ADJN would be fine for my application.
Searches only came up with (several offerings of)
PN 44D30-02-2-AJN. (omits the second D)

Fairly wide range of prices for it too...
Least expensive was this one:
Grayhill - 44D30-02-2-AJN - 2 DECKS 2 POLES 1 AMP ADJUSTABLE STOP Rotary Switch - Allied Electronics
$57.64.
Not bad at all! Plus shipping of course...

So will that one be OK inspite of the missing D?
Lol

I guess I'm asking for a "benediction" before I pull the trigger....
A confirmation by those truly knowledgable, who've been so helpful.

Thanks as usual!
Greg

"12 contacts and 1 wiper gives you a 11 way, or 12way, single pole switch"
A potential application for this configuration might be: Supplying power to 12 (or 11?) devices, one at a time..
By connecting the power source to each device.

Up to 12 DPDT relays for that future project.....

Have I passed the "quiz on monday"??

95%

I guess I'm asking for a "benediction" before I pull the trigger....
A confirmation by those truly knowledgable, who've been so helpful.

Thanks as usual!
Greg

Go for it,....Please...... PS I'm not one of the truly knowledgeable ones:eek:

Last edited:
Hello...

An input selector is an unfortunate necessity in my Pre/LS project.
Which one would do the least harm (degradation)?

It needs to be rotary style, because I'm committed already in certain design aspects (case/etc).

A source for it would be nice too...

TIA for your thoughts!!!

Greg
check out this URL:
Best Selector Switch? ..Advice plz!

For small AC signals the important thing is gold-plated contacts if you want long term reliable operation. Switches that carry even several mA of DC can self-clean their contacts electrically, but without this oxide will build up - gold plating doesn't oxidize (but needs to be thick enough for the use its going to see).

Yes you pay more for this, and actually it might be easier to just remember to use contact cleaner every 5/10 years or so... Overhauling equipment every so often is a good habit, as you can spot dirt build-up, heat damage and leaking electrolytics.

The cheap rotary switches I've mainly used are nickel-silver or something like this, and acrue a black tarnish over time, and being closed can only be cleaned properly by disassembly - those Grayhill ones look like a better quality version, still silver contacts and disassembly for cleaning required, but no cheap plastic!

I wound up using the Graycliff...
Very impressed with it..

Sources: tons on ebay.. and back during the OP the usual sources sold them. (probably still do) Mouser etc.
You'll have difficulty doping out the nomenclature to get the configuration you need though, regardless of source...

Good luck!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.