Modification/upgrade posibilities RCA input board tube line stage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

i have a tube preamplifier consisting of a PS and line stage.
The PS i have modified with PSU cap swap e.g.
Now i am looking at the line stage and to begin, i wanted to have a look at the RCA input board, i see these LG blue RY 5W-K, one for each RCA input.
Also a small circuit consisting of 1 x LM7805, 2 x lytic caps 1000uF 25V, 1 x resistor which says 'lset', this is for the led, and a small black round cell which states W04 on the board, but on the cell itself it is stated 'W06' with a + and - top and bottom and 2 wave symbols left and right.

I want to build with the best possible result in mind, would someone with knowledge of this kind of input board layout have any sugestions regarding better components?

The RCA output will be replaced by Eti RCAs and for those inputs i use (2 sets, CD player and Phono pre) i will use some other good ones)

here are some pics, would be much obliged to hear your opinions!

Thank you!

regards, Simon
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
a3ad0b36585c7e2a8e2d351f9ab40b07.jpg
db2369e7a62a611105f62db7432fad1d.jpg

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Last edited:
i allready have beautifull NOS tubes (4x 1950s GE 12ax7 and 2 x Ratheon JAN 5814a) and the couple caps all are Jupiter Copper foil paper and wax, the stepped attuanators (L&R) are Elma with carbon R and z-foils, that is all i did so far.
498642e27488ff5f6a4ebce73b6b14b3.jpg

Last edited:
[special=]%[/special]
What are you wanting to make/build/improve?

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for your reply,

I was just wondering on the input board (on the pictures) if these LG blue 'things' are applicable for modification, e.g. better components or an other way of dealing with whatever these blue 'blocks' do..
But i am not sure, hence why i thought, lets put the Q on DIYa.:)

Do you know what these do, and if they serve the purpose well, or might be viable for replacement by 'something' else? E.g. a small circuit of analog devices?

Hope to have clarified!:eek:

THANKS
Rgrds, Simon

Last edited:
Now i am looking at the line stage and to begin, i wanted to have a look at the RCA input board, i see these LG blue RY 5W-K, one for each RCA input.
A quick web search shows that those are relays - so that section of the board is an input switching device ?? The '5' in the part # indicates 5volt coils on the relays.
Also a small circuit consisting of 1 x LM7805, 2 x lytic caps 1000uF 25V, 1 x resistor which says 'lset', this is for the led, and a small black round cell which states W04 on the board, but on the cell itself it is stated 'W06' with a + and - top and bottom and 2 wave symbols left and right.
That's probably the 5v power supply for the relay board - the W06 is a rectifier bridge, the 7805 is a 5 volt regulator and the 25v caps are part of that 5v PS.
I want to build with the best possible result in mind, would someone with knowledge of this kind of input board layout have any suggestions regarding better components?

I'm not very 'audiophile' so swapping for 'better' components is something I seldom do. I get more fun from trying different circuits, or different component values (not brands) sometimes.

If the relay board is working well, I wouldn't bother with any changes.

But that's just my 'lack of attention to details', I guess! :)

Hi VicGuy!
thank you for your clear explanation, appreciated.

I will leave it as be, it works, sounds great, just didn't know these where relays, i knew it was for switching but now i understand what it does, going on or off, clear!

(but now this little voice in my head goes: )

Can these relays be in any way detrimental to SQ?

If so, i would be interested with what i could replace this for optimum results, if not, see latter part lol..

VicG, thanks for explaining to me, i have learned something today!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Hi VicGuy!
thank you for your clear explanation, appreciated.
I'm glad to help, though I'm not very expert.

Can these relays be in any way detrimental to SQ?
If the relay contacts become corroded/pitted over time then the signal may be affected. This usually takes years, and is often more common in older gear that hasn't been used, in my (limited) experience. Speaker relays are sometimes a problem.

If you find that problem after some years, and if the 5volt supply is still good, I'd just replace the relay with the same (new) part.

My advice: if it's working, spend the money on more music!
(Or save up for better speakers or headphones....or build a kit, or.....)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.