High DC offset on preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
UPDATE

Success!
I went ahead and replaced the only other cap in the signal path and that did it, no more pops or thumps when adjusting volume :)
With that, all tantalum and electrolytic capacitors in the signal path were replaced (except for the EQ circuit) from end to end.

I decided to leave the 1uF cap in the output. Although it is no longer a "Band-Aid" solution to the original issue, the general consensus here favors one to be in place.
I may recap the power supply and EQ, perhaps even the phono sections at some point but for now I`ll just listen to some nice sounds.
Many thanks go out to all that contributed, your help was invaluable.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    598.4 KB · Views: 88
You should remove this 1uF capacitior according to me ....About output coupling capacitor value there is one more consideration ... most of the preamplifier have a capacitor at output to block DC .... And most of the power amp have a capacitor at input to block DC ..... then if you put them together you have a lot of components ... series resistors .. shunt resistors ... ... capacitive effect of the cable ... and so on ..... and now you see 2 coupling capacitors in series .... and only then you may calculate low frequency cut off ...

You should remove this 1uF capacitior according to me ....About output coupling capacitor value there is one more consideration ... most of the preamplifier have a capacitor at output to block DC .... And most of the power amp have a capacitor at input to block DC ..... then if you put them together you have a lot of components ... series resistors .. shunt resistors ... ... capacitive effect of the cable ... and so on ..... and now you see 2 coupling capacitors in series .... and only then you may calculate low frequency cut off ...

I totally agree this.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.