Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Building a Douglas Self design preamp
Building a Douglas Self design preamp
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th December 2016, 03:03 PM   #1
fernfrost is offline fernfrost  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Default Building a Douglas Self design preamp

I am about to embark on a preamp build based on the design published in Elektor Magazine back in 2012 https://www.elektormagazine.com/labs...e-board-110650

Will be sharing my build on this thread and invite others working on the same design to share their build and/or thoughts.

Have just ordered the boards from elektormagazine.com and now I just have to finalize the farnell order
Old 19th December 2016, 09:05 PM   #2
calpe is offline calpe  Gibraltar
diyAudio Member

Default Elektor Preamplifier 2012

In Elektor magazine web site, if you go to (might have to log-in to view, i.e. create user etc.): -
https://www.elektormagazine.com/labs...comments/11662
This link will show all comments from everyone.
It's very important to read all those comments on this project as it originally came out in 2012 and therefore some components used have changed spec. & supply voltages need to be checked.
The project ran in three issues, April, May and June 2012, all can be downloaded for a small fee from Elektor Magazine we site.
Old 24th December 2016, 03:30 AM   #3
Carl_Huff is offline Carl_Huff  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Doug Self Preamplifier

A newer preamplifier inspired by Doug Self is here: Doug Self Preamp from Linear Audio #5
Old 24th December 2016, 07:41 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl_Huff View Post
A newer preamplifier inspired by Doug Self is here: Doug Self Preamp from Linear Audio #5
Looks interesting. Perhaps a future build

How has your build evolved?
Old 24th December 2016, 09:43 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernfrost View Post
... How has your build evolved?
The design as presented is quite mature and competes well with the best of commercial products.

However I do continue to evolve the design. I am making the design more modular. That way the project can be build with varying levels of capabilities and features. My current effort adds a 4.3 inch color LCD touchscreen with BeagleBone computer that selects the input, adds a nice AKM USB DAC and music server in a snappy commercial grade enclosure.
Old 25th December 2016, 01:23 PM   #6
PJN is offline PJN  United States
diyAudio Member

I agree with Carl 100%, I was lucky enough to get in on the group buy for this preamp, it is a great piece of gear. Sounds great, and is very versatile and well thought out. You can't go wrong with this design.

Paul
Old 25th December 2016, 01:55 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl_Huff View Post
... BeagleBone computer that selects the input, adds a nice AKM USB DAC and music server in a snappy commercial grade enclosure.
I will be interested to see this.

I have a twisted pear audio buffalo 3 dac that i have been using as a digital preamp and a dedicated pc as media server.

The new preamp will be the new master control unit of the system and and I will implement some communication protocol for connected units.

Im guessing that you either have or will achieve digital volume control? Using motorized or digital pot?

Last edited by fernfrost; 25th December 2016 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Thought about volume control....
Old 25th December 2016, 04:08 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernfrost View Post
I will be interested to see this.

I have a twisted pear audio buffalo 3 dac that i have been using as a digital preamp and a dedicated pc as media server.

The new preamp will be the new master control unit of the system and and I will implement some communication protocol for connected units.

Im guessing that you either have or will achieve digital volume control? Using motorized or digital pot?
#1) In my current implementation the DAC that I am using simply plugs into the IO board. I brought a DAC into the preamplifier chassis for convenience.

#2) I've put Doug's slick tone control on to a PCB of it's own.

#3) I am using a MUSES 7230 chip for volume control under BeagleBone control.

#4) The IO board now stands alone and uses THAT chips for multiple balanced IN/OUTs as well as the traditional RCA phono I/O switched by the BeagleBone.

However all of this is subject to change. I am fickled that way!

Last edited by Carl_Huff; 25th December 2016 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Grammar ...
Old 26th December 2016, 03:41 PM   #9
Eldam is offline Eldam  France
Banned

Hello Carl,

Hey did you receive back the shipment finally ?

I just received all the parts from Mouser one week ago and I' beginning to populate the kit. I bought as well several caps for the main powersupply to benchmark the sound in relation to the rest of my hifi for the best marriage ! And also went for a little sfernice Vishay P11 to test the two type of pot (with the one you provided) for the volume control ! I will post the conclusion when it will be test !

First : have to populate with the BOM and listen and keep time for caps burning in...

Well done for the Muse chip volume control

best regards

Eldam
Old 26th December 2016, 03:59 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldam View Post
Hello Carl,

Hey did you receive back the shipment finally ?

best regards

Eldam
Nope,

Last word had the lost package wandering about Italy. Ha, ha ...

I am looking forward to your comments once you get the preamplifier completed. I hope that you enjoy it as much as I do. Doug Self has given us a wonderful gift!

Building a Douglas Self design preampHide this!Advertise here!