Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Building a Douglas Self design preamp
Building a Douglas Self design preamp
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th February 2018, 10:05 AM   #51
calpe is offline calpe  Gibraltar
diyAudio Member

Thanks Geoff.
Just to mention to the late builders (like me) the NE5532's that were available when i purchased them were the NE5532AP.

http://uk.farnell.com/texas-instrume...ngdom%2Fsearch

You'll see here the supply voltage range is +5v - 15v.
The Elektor project has 17v supplies from the PSU.

In the above technical sheet for this i.c. it shows max. voltage is 22v, but recommended supply is 15v.

I wrote to Elektor explaining this and they told me to play it safe reduce R2 & R4 from 1.3k to 1.1k, which i have done, reducing the PSU o/p from 17 to 15v.
Old 5th February 2018, 10:18 AM   #52
geoffw1 is online now geoffw1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calpe View Post
Thanks Geoff.
Just to mention to the late builders (like me) the NE5532's that were available when i purchased them were the NE5532AP.

http://uk.farnell.com/texas-instrume...ngdom%2Fsearch

You'll see here the supply voltage range is +5v - 15v.
The Elektor project has 17v supplies from the PSU.

In the above technical sheet for this i.c. it shows max. voltage is 22v, but recommended supply is 15v.

I wrote to Elektor explaining this and they told me to play it safe reduce R2 & R4 from 1.3k to 1.1k, which i have done, reducing the PSU o/p from 17 to 15v.
As stated by various other people in this post, +/-17V is absolutely fine for the NE5532,ME5534, LM4562 devices used in this design. It is well within the rated voltages for the devices.
My build has been operating non-stop with +/-17V supplies for nearly two years with no ill effects. Data sheet gives max voltage as +/-22V so at +/-17V, there is still a 5V margin for both supply rails - plenty of margin.

Last edited by geoffw1; 5th February 2018 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Omitted text from post
Old 5th February 2018, 10:26 AM   #53
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calpe View Post
...........the NE5532's that were available when i purchased them were the NE5532AP........... it shows max. voltage is 22v, but recommended supply is 15v..............
the absolute maximum voltage is +-22Vdc, or 44Vdc total
The recommended should be a bit below that.
The dual 5532 dissipates roughly twice the heat compared to the single 5534, so I would reduce the dual even more than the 42Vdc that is acceptable for the single.
+-19Vdc to +-20Vdc is OK, for the 5532. Those are way above the +15-5Vdc (total 20Vdc) you stated.
Old 5th February 2018, 01:38 PM   #54
calpe is offline calpe  Gibraltar
diyAudio Member

In Elektor 06-2012, page 26, it give information of 'Miscellaneous - Not on PCB'.
Can someone clear up what is written of the fuse F1 (230VAC) = fuse, 0.315A Antisurge?

What is the correct mains input fuse that should be used on the mains input circuit?
Old 5th February 2018, 03:50 PM   #55
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
R.I.P.

That is in another Thread.
Why do you keep repeating yourself in so many Threads?

Building a Douglas Self design preampHide this!Advertise here!