Hybrid transformer-pot volume control

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have too much gain in my power amp.

Since a lot of people rave about TVCs/AVCs, a pair of Edcor PC600/15K transformers waiting for a M2-build got put in reverse in front of my volume control in an attempt at trying transformer-based attenuation on the cheap.

Setup as follows:
XLR-in to pin 7 and 5 of transformer. From pin 1 and 3 through 4K Ohm resistors before an dual alps motor pot (10K, linear) between the phases and then to XLR-out->dual DCB1 in a separate box. Resistor- and pot-values because it was what I had at hand.

An arduino controls the pot as per Simple IR Remote for Motorized Alps Pot directly using Arduino.. See attached source which is slightly modified from the above link.

This fixes the system gain so that about 8-3 o’clock on the pot is usable, without the transformers I could hardly go over 10 o'clock.

It sounds relaxed. Sometimes there is a bit of distortion that wasn’t there before but it’s fun enough that the transformers get to stay.

I like the sound, but are there any obvious things I’m missing that could make this better?

Best regards,
Tor-björn

Attachments

• 20161025_184209.jpg
    20161025_184209.jpg
    375.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 20161025_214220.jpg
    20161025_214220.jpg
    476.9 KB · Views: 69
  • IRdecode.txt
    2 KB · Views: 57
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.