Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Salas DCG3 preamp (line & headphone)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th August 2018, 07:37 PM   #3071
Salas is online now Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brakspear75 View Post
Hi Salas, thanks for the speedy help.

The grey wire is across one ac to ct only - clearer photo attached. Voltage across both ac is just over 40V - the 7812 would definitely have gone up in smoke if I'd done that. Does the black ct wire need to go to the ac in terminal next to D3/D4? Just noticed that at the moment it's the brown wire from the other end of the secondary that is closest to D3/D4 - as these run to ground perhaps this is the cause of the short?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brakspear75 View Post
There was also a wire from the common ground trace along the front of the DCG3 to the 0V header on the Vreg out pad of the selector board
It does look like across the AC connector in the previous pictures. Tricky pics. Make sure of your transformers secondary wires colors and rearrange as you wrote. But I don't think that's the key. Still don't use that DCG3 0 to DCout 0 selector board wire again. That's my suspicion now that you cleared its not about feeding across AC AC.
Attached Images
File Type: png xwire.png (387.9 KB, 132 views)
Old 11th August 2018, 11:12 PM   #3072
Brakspear75 is offline Brakspear75  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I agree that the photo looks a bit misleading (pun intended ) - sorry for the confusion. I will replace D3/D4, check track continuity as suggested and re-wire the signal inputs without the connection from amp common ground to selector 0V point. I'll also make sure I've got the dim bulb tester in circuit when I power up again.
Thanks again for your help; I'm fairly sure I have some suitably rated diodes in my bits pot but will double check the data sheets and order new ones if needed. Once I've got it up and running I'll post an update and buy a proper chassis. I'm intending to take a wire from the amp common ground via an earth loop breaker to the protective earth bolt - is this a good idea or would it be better to use the selector 0V point for the earth attachment?
Old 12th August 2018, 01:31 AM   #3073
diyAudio Chief Moderator

You may use any 1N4xxx diodes to replace those. The DC in/out 0V on the selector board is the relays PSU ground, not a signal ground. Signal ground is the middle points common line along its inputs and output connectors. The dim bulb tester is going to help save the day in most cases. A loop breaker is not a bad idea either. Good luck and let us know.
Old 12th August 2018, 05:32 PM   #3074
ggetzoff is offline ggetzoff  United States
diyAudio Member

Salas,

Reintroduced the DCG3 after a very minor speaker adjustment. Got rid of the slap reflections.

Take a deep breath, calm down....its awesome. Amazing dynamics, liquid smooth. No harshness, just a lot of micro detail and balanced from top to bottom. I thunkbthe 327 mod is essential. Running the AD823. Will do a proper review when broken in.

Good lord, though, easily one of the best I have ever heard. Very forward, huge space between recording elements. Its passing all of my harshness tests. Its just good, enjoyable, dynamic, listening.

Tea/Salas, thanks for all you do.
Old 12th August 2018, 07:01 PM   #3075
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Very nice subjective feedback from a seasoned system with big electrostatic speakers. Thanks for letting us know. Waiting for your full review. Maybe there's even more performance hidden there to be revealed when you will move from single shared to dual mono UltraBiBs.
Old 12th August 2018, 09:10 PM   #3076
ggetzoff is offline ggetzoff  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
Very nice subjective feedback from a seasoned system with big electrostatic speakers. Thanks for letting us know. Waiting for your full review. Maybe there's even more performance hidden there to be revealed when you will move from single shared to dual mono UltraBiBs.
Nick,

I'm going to stick with the mono BiB setup for the time being. The depth, clarity, and non-congested sound field I'm getting is very similar to my hotrod DCB1, just with warmth and an even presentation. With the DCB1, its super resolving, but the presentation is all over the place because of recording difference. The DCG3 is about as resolving, with proper smoothness, dynamics and control. The DCG3 gives about theoretical maximums in all categories.

Plus, I'm just not excited about shoe-horning another BiB set into the chassis. I've got great power and low temps with my single mono setup.

Cheers,

Greg
Old 12th August 2018, 10:53 PM   #3077
dewdrop is offline dewdrop  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post

Dual mono here I come! With your support, who can ever say no. ;-)
Old 12th August 2018, 11:42 PM   #3078
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Humble plug & play DCSTB is already dual mono nonetheless. Alright, its not a fire breathing CCS biased shunt reg but a very decent low noise discrete series thing complete with onboard sinks that nails the tonality. Non reactive and cute, it also has the best lights

Salas DCG3 preamp (line & headphone)Hide this!Advertise here!