Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Salas DCG3 preamp (line & headphone)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th July 2018, 01:24 PM   #3001
ggetzoff is offline ggetzoff  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
Your UltraBiB PSU has a CCS current limiter so it will protect the load (DCG3) from a fault higher to your R1 mA setting anyway. If surpassed it will drop the PSU's output voltage and you will instantly know by the PSU's LEDs turning off. Not only useful in test, but forever, its a built in feature. I put the CCS there primarily for dynamic separation reasons but it works as a CC protection mode too.
The dim bulb tester will sense the 6800uF reservoir capacitor's inrush current and try limit it but once charged it will not react for brightness any further. Because the PSU's current draw will be maintained constant no matter what gross fault may occur after its current limiter. Naturally it won't protect what's located before it i.e. the transformer, the bridge diodes, and the reservoir capacitor.
Salas,

Thanks. I tested it without the bulb. However, the neg. reg. leds are not illuminating when I run both sides of the DCG board. I haven't received my 2R yet for R1. So, with the 12R in R10 (~100ma bias) I am exceeding CCma.

Or I have a short.

When I run one side of the DCG3 board the neg. reg. does fine. I am measuring ~1vdc across R10 when both channels are powered. But, only did that to check voltage. Don't want to run the neg. board if there's a problem.

The relay did close, and all three LEDs on the DCG3 board did illuminate when I tested both sides.

Cheers,

Greg
Old 14th July 2018, 04:58 PM   #3002
Tea-Bag is offline Tea-Bag  United States
not politcally affiliated
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggetzoff View Post
Salas,

Thanks. I tested it without the bulb. However, the neg. reg. leds are not illuminating when I run both sides of the DCG board. I haven't received my 2R yet for R1. So, with the 12R in R10 (~100ma bias) I am exceeding CCma.

Or I have a short.

When I run one side of the DCG3 board the neg. reg. does fine. I am measuring ~1vdc across R10 when both channels are powered. But, only did that to check voltage. Don't want to run the neg. board if there's a problem.

The relay did close, and all three LEDs on the DCG3 board did illuminate when I tested both sides.

Cheers,

Greg
Unloaded from DCG-03, does the UBIB Negative side light up fine and send proper voltage?
Salas Boards 2018#1 On Order | Hot-Rod DCB1 boards and kits In Stock, PM | M2C Boards, PS and transformers Available PM | Sony VFET CSX2 AL boards In Stock
Old 14th July 2018, 05:29 PM   #3003
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Greg's regs have been already used in his BA-3 so they should be alright. He still has 3R CC set resistors (~200mA) so he is right on the verge for powering 100+100mA DCG3 channels. I wouldn't worry there is an anomaly before he will be setting the regs to 300mA CC for proper evaluation of the system. If in a hurry, some handy 10R power resistor across each now 3R makes 2.3R as a parallel combination for a confirmation test before receiving the proper 2R replacement ones.
Old 14th July 2018, 06:41 PM   #3004
ggetzoff is offline ggetzoff  United States
diyAudio Member

I got really close to finishing this yesterday. Unfortunately, I'm headed to Stockholm, would rather stay home a play with audio!

0713181542.jpg

Hoepfully as Salas said when I increase CCma it will be fine. They worked perfecrly with the BA-3.

Salas DCG3 preamp (line & headphone)Hide this!Advertise here!