Salas DCG3 preamp (line & headphone)

I had but I did not keep it on file. It was something like a series of harmonics -80dB bellow the 1kHz fundamental when just before clipping. Clipping level wasn't exactly rail to rail but just a little below if I also remember correctly.

I'm seeing about 34V pk-pk on roughly +-17.25V rails. Close enough to rail-to-rail! That's with no load. Under load, I imagine it would be a bit less. It's purely a theoretical matter since driving headphones to that level would likely destroy them, and the listener's ears in the process, LOL.

I still haven't bought my headphones yet. I was going to order HD6xx from Mass Drop, but I read some scary reviews about customer service, so held off. Buying official Sennheiser models is much more expensive.

-Henry

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
So I remembered correctly. Bit below rail to rail. Yes you can take advantage of the full PSU voltage envelope in this design for as long as the current provided to the load can be supported by the output stage bias. For any line application or higher impedance headphones that is.
Positive going side can pull twice the bias mA form the rail but negative going side just up to bias mA. This is a single ended common source output stage sitting on negative side CCS. Not a push pull follower we should keep in mind.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I still haven't bought my headphones yet. I was going to order HD6xx from Mass Drop, but I read some scary reviews about customer service, so held off. Buying official Sennheiser models is much more expensive.
Maybe you would like a Beyer Dynamic DT 880 Pro? Very reliable and well priced. Classic model with available spare parts. Made in Germany.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Maybe this one by Marra (post #1576)?

DSC_0011_zpsskhbrz8q.jpg

Mass Drop Customer Service

@ hpasternack

Some years ago I purchased a set of Fostex TH-X00EB from MassDrop. When they arrived, they were horribly imbalanced. I spent days trying to convince myself that it was my perception and not the headphones. But after a few days I contacted customer service and explained that, compared to other headphones, something was wrong. They were most gracious, and in a "no questions asked" manner arranged for a prompt exchange. The replacement headphones were spot on, as expected. I have them now and still use them. They are a bit bass heavy, but that is a horse of a different color.

However, this happened a few years back, and I've not dealt with them since.

FWIW

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Thanks! Decided that I'll work on diy lettering at home and I'll likely go with with a chassis 4 pack from diyaudio store.

Now for a question relating to magnetic Shielding: I'm building Simplistic RIAA and DCG3 for a friend. He requested all in one chassis but I convinced him that 2 is better - For lowest possible noise, one chassis for complete RIAA and one for DCG3 or One for all transformers and one for RIAA and DCG3 boards or One for Transformers with PS boards and one for all signals? Also, since I have to order 4 pack of the same chassis material, steel or aluminum coves? Thanks in advance!

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
One box for transformers one box for preamps. To avoid signal interconnects between phono and line too. Covers material does not matter for 50/60Hz interference, more for RF, distance and using magnetically shielded transformer types matters. Also put the RAW DC board for the phono in the trafos box and send out DC. Rectify and filter the DCG3's transformer(s) in the first box and also send out DC to connect directly at DCSTB's 2200uF first capacitor's pins. No AC secondary power cabling going to the preamps box avoids wires emitted field coupling danger to phono signal.

You may wish to read posts #2472 thru 2478 in the Ultrabib1.3 thread for some more detail from Salas on transformers and separate box placements.

Salas do you have a simple raw DC supply PCB that we could use, for example one with rectifiers and some filtering which we could then connect to a regulator. I am getting interested in building a 01A tube preamp and require raw DC which will needed to supply SSLVH2 regs and to supply other regulators. Relevant to the question of PSU being in a separate box.

Thanks.

nash