Salas DCG3 preamp (line & headphone)

Joined 2019
Paid Member
fuse size

"DC rail Fuses
4x F1,F2 20mm Τ350mA 250V in double mono PSU or T750mA 250V in mono PSU"

That's from my PDF guide

Are you sure the blown one is 250mA? T350mA means Time Fuse (slow blow) 350mA

This is what I used. (see attached). Should have double checked the pdf. Moving on, I cannot find T350mA in this neck of the woods so I will follow pfarrell's recent comment and use T400mA.
As always, thank you Salas for watching out for us.

Regards,
Don

Attachments

• IMG_1694.jpg
    IMG_1694.jpg
    828.2 KB · Views: 340
Will do... the 2sk170 is the next mod in plans. A DCB1 got in the way somehow and further more I've upgraded it to 800mA. Very good results but now I've back with DCG3 with UBIBs and I'm wondering if some of the 'more full' sound of DCB1 can be achieved.
DCSTB had no issues there but UBIB have better soundstage, more extended bass and tremble etc.

Then again, it's all system dependent. With my old school DAC no such worries but my ESS9018 / NTD1 lies on the neutral side so further experiments are in order.

Coronavirus time well spend ;)

This is VERY VERY good. More critical listening tomorrow. With a lid... and some records (UFSP of course). Gut reaction is VERY 3D and natural—3Dness similar to my first monoblock experience (M2X in the background there)—so, the dual mono thing is real as far as I'm concerned. I was a little concerned that I'd miss the Aikido (tubes)...but have to say, not feeling that at the moment which is a pleasant surpise. TKD linear pot with resistor shunt mod sounds great. Muses etc. later—wanted to verify a working (and quiet) pre before things get more complex. Power up and bias were a breeze—good instructions—all by the book. DEAD quiet into the monkey coffins. Nice!!! Thanks Salas. More later. :D

attachment.php

Attachments

• PF-DCG3-First-PWR_01.jpg
    PF-DCG3-First-PWR_01.jpg
    593.4 KB · Views: 614
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Salas

Just completed F5 amp and added it to the FSP and DCG3. What a stunning combination this is. The Magnepans are fair singing with this combination. Clarity of sound, depth of sound and presence in the room make it just like being with the performers.

Graeme

Happy to know that you built a beautiful sounding system with a little help from my preamp designs too. Enjoy.

Salas—another winner—not really sure what you are on. :D Haha. You have some serious skills—I would love to hear your personal system.

I have no expectations with these audio evolutions. Just the synergy of the randomness of my own system I suppose—the build choices are all instinct for that matter...and the room it is all in is currently beyond my explicit control.

Current comparison is related to Aikido, which to be sure is an awesome preamp—tubes—and I tend to lean towards the sweet side of the spectrum, personally (I'm not sure I'm a "tube" guy though—kinda like picking motorcycle brands—I love them all). My quest is really about finding zero anything coming from my speakers when all is powered up and nothing playing—based loosely on some past experiences where less raw noise seems to equal more of the all important music itself—the goal being raising hairs on arms and getting body response—chills, whatever. On that metric—what I hear with records as the source and nothing actually playing is—the most "nothing" yet. I may be able to hear "something?" with ear in cones—but i really can't be sure. Haha. So that's awesome. I suspect that each component with each other component have influences that are certainly beyond my current knowledge. UFSP is inbetween the SP-10 and the DCG3—is this a factor in your designs at all Salas? Is there Salas-Synergy?

After about 10 records of all sorts of musical styles—the DCG3 is without question worth the build time and parts. There have to be a bunch of factors here that as mentioned are highly specific to all the various elements. There's a lightness now to the music—no less full and rich—just more "space" (dual mono?) and life. Feel like I could listen for years. Not that it wasn't great before, it was. We aren't talking sea change—but a big—worthy—difference nonetheless. This stuff is SO subjective. Started with the BC327 for what it's worth—and the kit opamp. Still love the different qualities of the AT33PTG/II and the Hana ML. Two arms will solve this of course.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Its nice having a vinyl sourced system with minimal nuisance noises when on big sensitive speakers.

My system is humble, most of you guys have much better sources, amps, speakers, and listening spaces. Regarding synergy of tone etc. since I never design against a third party reference, maybe its just my idea of how music should sound like that ends up alike in the subjective tuning of my various circuits.

Reactions: 1 user
Salas

Just completed F5 amp and added it to the FSP and DCG3. What a stunning combination this is. The Magnepans are fair singing with this combination. Clarity of sound, depth of sound and presence in the room make it just like being with the performers.

Graeme

What Maggies have you got ? Is it plain F5 or Turbo version ?

Anyway DCG3 is simply not getting in the way. I've tried with different amps and different dacs. Their character always is clearly heard each time.

My system is humble, most of you guys have much better sources, amps, speakers, and listening spaces. Regarding synergy of tone etc. since I never design against a third party reference, maybe its just my idea of how music should sound like that ends up alike in the subjective tuning of my various circuits.

Did you voiced DCG3 with Aune ?

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
No, I designed the circuit by trying many topological ideas iterations on the bench while measuring first. That took a couple of months. After I was happy with simplicity vs performance vs stability I built it with generic parts.
Listened to it on AKG 105 Euro price headphones via an EMU audio interface card I was measuring it with. Decided little values tweaks, also the op-amp type, and that was all.

I believe that if a design isn't interesting when made with the cheapest parts while being connected in the humblest of systems, it will never be special in any system.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
When I took it in the main system it was alright. Then I beta released it to a couple of local and foreign diy friends with many various builds experience and good systems to tell me what they think without giving them any clue and they enthused. It didn't need anything more to tweak. Then I released it to all.
Of course I listened to it in many systems and environments since then. I evaluated some alternative active parts, pots, and build versions like balanced or shunt supplies also.

What Maggies have you got ? Is it plain F5 or Turbo version ?

Savvas:
Magnepans are Model SMG and they are 1983 vintage.

F5 is plain vanilla variety using 300VA trafo and 120k uF caps in the power supply. I used the F5 kit and pcbs from the DiyA shop, the 4U heatsinks from Modushop, and it all went together without a hitch. As usual I built the enclosure from aluminium angle and plate with timber trims. It does not look like or feel like a store bought product! And that is by design.

Graeme

Savvas:
Magnepans are Model SMG and they are 1983 vintage.

F5 is plain vanilla variety using 300VA trafo and 120k uF caps in the power supply. I used the F5 kit and pcbs from the DiyA shop, the 4U heatsinks from Modushop, and it all went together without a hitch. As usual I built the enclosure from aluminium angle and plate with timber trims. It does not look like or feel like a store bought product! And that is by design.

Graeme

Thanks for the info, I guess F5 can drive SMG with DCG3 providing enough gain. Easy adjustable gain is another benefit of this circuit.
I'd like to test F5T with my 1.6 sometime but currently I'm very satisfied with mine. Just putting the finishing touches to my system.

Custom design rules, I'm getting tired of plain Hifi2000 cases and housing DCG3 is gonna be quite a project.

No, I designed the circuit by trying many topological ideas iterations on the bench while measuring first. That took a couple of months. After I was happy with simplicity vs performance vs stability I built it with generic parts.
Listened to it on AKG 105 Euro price headphones via an EMU audio interface card I was measuring it with. Decided little values tweaks, also the op-amp type, and that was all.

I believe that if a design isn't interesting when made with the cheapest parts while being connected in the humblest of systems, it will never be special in any system.

Thanks for the info Nick. So it was EMU doing the job. I have the EMU 1212m (basically for measuring) I assume they are pretty much on the same level. I would like to voice equipment with both old and new DACs.
I don't know if you still have Aune, it's good dac with lots of options but not my cup of tea.
It's hard to find a good commercial dac in reasonable amount of money. They exceed in options / display but luck of analog / power supply department.

I assume that DCSTB was the first choice (meaning you haven't tested other things and end up with it).
Looking for boxing mine and mainly because of the problem with heat produced by UBIB/BIB I'm looking for other solutions too.