Salas DCG3 preamp (line & headphone)

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
^Its three times gain (9.54dB). Can be handy for 32 Ohm to 300 Ohm headphones, although some 32 Ohm especially if very sensitive models, should be getting loud fast. Depends on a specific volume attenuator's behavior also. What log profile, how many steps.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Add a second same type small transformer for double mono when able. I don't know if its as warm as the sink just because of loading or because shared between bridges. Put something for insulation on the exposed mains connections on IEC, fuse, and switch, so to be safe.

Slowly ...

The correct res and caps has finally came...

Attachments

• dcg3_1.jpg
    dcg3_1.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 340
  • dcg3_22.jpg
    dcg3_22.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 323
You probably used this big heatsink because it was available, right ?
And there comes the question for those living in hot-climate countries (like Greece)

use big (maybe oversized) heatsink or give more ventilation to the chassis ?

Don't tell me to experiment, I have dozen projects, none closed, it's a course I tell ya :p

Solid case looks cool not to mention that custom-made holes (laser/plasma cut) cost. But I'm worried about heat in summertime. One solution is to have the heatsink not enclosed even if put in the bottom of the chassis. Seen it in amps too, a whole part of the bottom cover cut in the dimensions of the heatsink.

The problem is not only the preamp module but also the psu. Even though DCSTB was colder than BIB/UBIBs the center heatsinks where quite hot.

Hi Salas
I am new to building a DCG3 and have assembled the DCSTB power supply and it all works fine and I get 17.14 from both channels and all the LED arrays light up evenly
However I have a question related to R1 & R2 I fitted the 33R as per the bom but on the packet that contained the PF5102 it is written use 1r for R1 & R2?, should I change these resistors?
Unusually for me ? I forgot to write down the IDSS for the JFets but I have 4 sticker's and the state 4.74, 4.8, 5.25, 5.19
There will be 2 x 18-0-18V transformers and M1,2,3 transistors will be bolted to the right heat sink
IMG_2952 by Alan Towell, on Flickr

Alan

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Such notes should be related to special selections. I don't know for sure but probably R1,R2 1R are recommended because the particular PFs are already around 5mA Idss which is the target so the 1R are used to simply make the circuit. The 33R are recommended to surely bring down Idss by degeneration in random higher Idss samples.

Since you already get 17.14V from both psu channels all seems well evened out somehow so my advise would be don't rework anything because result is fine. Nice box by the way.