Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Salas DCG3 preamp (line & headphone)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Today, 03:24 AM   #2321
Russellc is offline Russellc  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the responses. I think I will go high with the bias, and think about a switchable gain giving me two positions. The sockets are tight and were recommended for Pearl 2 resistor changes. Not very elegant, I will explore some sort of switching...for the gain.

Russellc
Old Today, 03:25 AM   #2322
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikari1 View Post
And with 25ohm headphones you want as much current as you can get.
He will get 118dB SPL peak before negative sinewave clipping with 150mA bias on those cans. If he wants 120dB he will have to bias at 180mA.
Old Today, 03:28 AM   #2323
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russellc View Post
Thanks for the responses. I think I will go high with the bias, and think about a switchable gain giving me two positions. The sockets are tight and were recommended for Pearl 2 resistor changes. Not very elegant, I will explore some sort of switching...for the gain.

Russellc
Maybe a DIP switch and a couple of resistors on a thumb sized board directly to the R6 pads. Don't ever switch the gain when powered on. Also test that the offset is good on all gains.
Old Today, 03:29 AM   #2324
Russellc is offline Russellc  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
*BTW I extrapolated the Nighthawk's 1V RMS sensitivity from an Innerfidelity's mesurements sheet I found online. There it took 0.098V RMS to reach 90dB SPL calibrated. Because 20log 0.098V is minus 20dB to 1V then 90+20=110dB SPL/V
I know they have in mind driving it with their Dragonfly DAC, so I figured they were plenty sensitive. BTW, I have both the original Dragonfly as well as the newer Red Dragonfly. Storing my CDS on the laptop and utilizing a free "MusicBee" software (which allows by passing the microsoft sound stack of mess and use of a WASAPI output), sounds way better than it has any right to, given the price

Russellc
Old Today, 03:35 AM   #2325
diyAudio Chief Moderator

I have listened to the original Dragonfly at a friend's computer room driving JBL LSR305 active speakers with SE to PseudoBAL cables. Not bad.
Old Today, 06:53 AM   #2326
MagicBus is offline MagicBus  Greece
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmsandy View Post
the above diagram has only balanced in balanced out, SE in SE out but not BAL In SE out.
All you have to do is connect a balanced source at the input XLR and take SE output at the RCA. This will be one phase (positive or negative). The other phase will simply stay dissconnected.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rear.jpg (430.4 KB, 23 views)
Old Today, 07:01 AM   #2327
MagicBus is offline MagicBus  Greece
diyAudio Member

Perhaps it should be made clear that it's not a differential configuration. We are not talking about CMRR here. It's only a four rail line stage to amplify a weak balanced signal for the requirements of the next stage. CMRR will hopefuly take place there (the amp) provided it has differential input.

Salas DCG3 preamp (line & headphone)Hide this!Advertise here!