Salas DCG3 preamp (line & headphone)

I completed today the internal wiring. The potentiometer is external, arduino based LDR, I took chance this kind has hability to drive output cables and placed on their own box.
DCB3 has further opened up de sound after two days. I feel confident leaving it powered on these days, as the temperature only reach 37'5 C. degrees on all transistors, same DCG3 and Ubib! Placing dissipators bellow turned to be good idea.
I took care also the internal wiring is graphene with cotton isolation. The same wiring I use in my headphones. On front panel, I placed three different headpone shocket wired in series.
A big thanks Salas and Tea Bag keeping this possible, it turned to be great pleasure at many levels.
Now I will move to build ACA amplifier. Another project that I have all parts stored, for too much time waiting for free time.
Jordi.

Attachments

• IMG_20200407_195546.jpg
    IMG_20200407_195546.jpg
    659.7 KB · Views: 420
Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
You are welcome.

A non standard build configuration that works for you nicely. Congratulations for your efforts. You are also much into headphones I assume.

Keep in mind that the LDR concept adds enough THD of its own due to non linearity of its core elements. Mainly second harmonic. I recommend you try some other attenuation solution at a point also, just to know what is best for you. There are affordable decent pots like the Allo 10k ladder for a taste.

Good luck with your ACA project, stay safe, and let us know in case of any future DCG3 parts changes and evaluations will take place in your build.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
DCSTB DCG3 pre

I am building a standard config DCSTB DCG3 pre with BOM parts. Dual mono configured. I have an Antek 05-20 tx. Can I use it with another 05-20 or do I need to drop down to an 05-18 duo? Starting with gain of 3. Will it run hot? Is it a problem if I try to go for 4x gain? I also want to try it with UBiBv1.3. can I do all this with the 05-20's?
Thanks,
Don

Taked into account, thanks, and good whishes also stay safe.
In pic atch. DCG3 in my system.
Foot base is magnetic levitation, placed asimetrically due to the gravity center towards the transformers on the left.
Before final assembly I took time to compare different fets on J1 J2.
Having disposable only one true Toshiba transistor, I do all test on one channel only.
Four contenders, Toshiba 2sk170, Chineese 2sk170, Upa68h, and Linear System 2sk170.
In first I heard Chinese. Then Toshiba on J1, after some minutes not much, it become clear that Chinese are bad sounding. Switching Toshiba to J2 worsens the sound. Learned J1 is more critical to sound, so left again Chinese at J2, I was trying different IDSS on J2 and preferred above 7mA. Then when switch to uPA, I learned that those chinesse are good quality, changed my mind after notice that uPA actually less dynamic and extension at both extremes. Finally I placed Linear Systems 2sk170 and deceived again, these sound terrible, mid frequencies recessed, highs hurting the ears and lows bloomed without detail.
uPA much better midband, timbre and coherence, not disturbing. Chinese another jump up more extended high and low extremes, more projection and dynamics, mainly above 7mA. IDSS. You may though it misses nothing till heard Japanese Toshiba. I remember perfectly how much carry further the qualities above mentioned of extension, projection and dynamics, maybe thanks better detail rendition, or low noise (exemplary low level resolution).

Attachments

• IMG-20200408-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20200408-WA0004.jpg
    784 KB · Views: 368
Joined 2017
Paid Member
I recommend you try some other attenuation solution at a point also, just to know what is best for you. There are affordable decent pots like the Allo 10k ladder for a taste.

Sorry to interfere, but this could be appropriate.
I just stumbled upon the muses attenuator, there's (almost) only very good things to read about... (and 3 or 4 different products from US, Japan, Germany...)

Do you know of it? What do you think of these?
(for the mesmerize, also...)?

Stay all safe!
david

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I am building a standard config DCSTB DCG3 pre with BOM parts. Dual mono configured. I have an Antek 05-20 tx. Can I use it with another 05-20 or do I need to drop down to an 05-18 duo? Starting with gain of 3. Will it run hot? Is it a problem if I try to go for 4x gain? I also want to try it with UBiBv1.3. can I do all this with the 05-20's?
Thanks,
Don

If DCG3 will be run at 100mA output stage bias, the 2V higher than standard Tx it will cause +0.4W extra dissipation to the DCSTB's sinks. It will probably not ruin the day. Depending on the size and ventilation of the box you will evaluate if the heat exchange is still acceptable.

UBiB heats up more with each excessive AC Volt because of its CCS section. But it is externally sinked so you can help the situation. Its not fixed. DCSTB can only take the next tall model same profile board level sinks on the other hand.

4X gain setting is no problem, DCG3 does it with ease, changes nothing in the heat department by the way.

Hi Nick,
I just build a DCG3 for my friend Sound63, and he's very entusiast.
I not hear to it, cause virus, but now I wanna build one for me.
I want a balancede one.
I read the first 240 pages of thread and I liked very much the realisations of Magic Bus and Nashbap, they both made it balanced.

Actually my preamp is a SE balanced JFET by Borbely.
It sounds Amazing, but it get caps in the signal path ( at the end to cancel DC)and it get too much gain, 26 dB.

My speaker system is a 4 ways biamped fullhorn with sensivity of 108 dB/W/m in the bass, and over in the high ways.
The gain of Borbely is overkill!!

Actually I've the electronic crossover inside the preamp.
I've splitted the signal at the output in two ways:

1- low pass filter 12dB oct builded around a k170 / j74 push pull buffer, followed by a 10uF cap to null DC.

2-a voltage divider to attenuate 7 dB the high ways, followed by another
k170 /j74 buffer, followed by one 1uF cap, that make a 6dB high pass filter
at 150 Hz ca ( the amp have 1k1 imput impedance)

I would make the same thing with DCG3 with somedifferent things:

1-the same low pass without the 10uF cap at the end

2-a voltage divider followed by the 1 uF cap, without buffer. See schematic.

I think that the brute force of DCG3 can drive the volt divider and cap without the buffer.
I'm correct?

What the best values for Rs and Rp to attenuate about 7 dB?

Thank you for another GREAT design!

Attachments

• IMG_1333.JPG
    IMG_1333.JPG
    360.1 KB · Views: 311
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
With Rs=10k and Rp=7.8k attenuation is -7.17dB. When Rp=8.2k its -6.91dB. It needs 8k (5k6+2k4) for -7dB spot on.

The preamp is going to see both filters in parallel which is easy to DCG3 and you still have a low noise enough divider impedance for your purposes.