Salas DCG3 preamp (line & headphone)

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member

Yes some 10k ladder log also technically fits this preamp for output impedance as analyzed in few posts before. Ladder type has more switch contacts than series or shunt. If its build quality is adequate it can be very good. A 25k series like Goldpoint etc. would also work well. But those belong in the $$$ category even when for 24 step models. Acoustic Dimension 41 step attenuator pots would be a nice pick in that upper category as they have more steps than Goldpoint in comparable pricing like Khozmo does, but they only offer 10k or 100k series type models.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
There is also a Chineze manufacturer named EIZZ I see. At roughly double the Valab price range does nice looking enclosed series type attenuators of 24 steps with through hole resistors. Not stating which brand's line and ppm.

I don't know if they would differ in anything else than better mechanics and looks from cheaper ones with metal film resistors though. Better contacts possibly (?):

EIZZ 25K 24 Step HIFI Audio Potentiometer Attenuator for Stereo Two Channel | eBay

Although EIZZ is not the typical run-of-mill manufacturer still it costs double if not triple the chinese ones and since there is no mentioning of the resistors characteristics the only benefit is the fancy aluminum cover.
I found no info (or image) of the contact materials or construction they used to make this attenuator

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
There is also a Chineze manufacturer named EIZZ I see. At roughly double the Valab price range does nice looking enclosed series type attenuators of 24 steps with through hole resistors. Not stating which brand's line and ppm.

I don't know if they would differ in anything else than better mechanics and looks from cheaper ones with metal film resistors though. Better contacts possibly (?):

I asked about what resistors were used in the EIZZ 24 Step Attenuator and this is the answer I received:

“they are carbon film resistors inside, and they are made in Taiwan”

Not a very detailed answer :rolleyes:

Oh no! DCG3 been working fine for a few weeks and now dead :( no led's on the DCG3 and no sound from the speakers.
+-17V going into the DCG3 from the DCSTB's and all their LEDs are on.
DCG3 heatsink is warm to the touch. Absolutely nothing been changed since it last worked.
Where should I look first?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Relay I wouldn't bet on it first. I would first try each LED it can be lit with a battery or a capable DMM (must give 2V or more in diode check mode). No need to desolder them for that.
We had 3mm LEDS failing in the DCB1 threads sometimes. For no apparent reason. Maybe one got bit more heated than necessary during soldering and developed some kind of weakness we assumed.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
1uF is part of the servo's input RC filter 150nF is making the integrator. First one I kept it big enough for filtering unwanted signals down low near DC. I experimented on the bench with the latter's value until it had fast enough slope reaction to DC offset changes in the particular circuit.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
DCG3 is too hot for a second stage in a phono I would say. Needs big sinking and everything. Could up the temp and make the input stage drift. Also makes the layout big for so small an input signal. Has overkill output power that will be unused. If also thinking of an active RIAA EQ topology remember that DCG3's feedback path needs very low impedance to be stable. Meaning big filter capacitors. Something all TO-92 would be more suitable IMO. Or like the one you study with SOT-32 outputs. Which are overkill again but not as much.