volume and tone control at same time

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hey, im new to this forum and registered preciselly for help. I'm not a pro in the subject but recently got very interested in electronics and audio stuff and started experimenting with ltspice and protoboarding... :p
Days ago i was working on a simple preamp with distortion for guitar/bass with two transistors. At input before the coupling cap has some "fixed equalization" which attenuate the mids and adds some dynamics, then the signal travels to the first transistor and saturates the second one, it sounds quite ok, but when added the gain pot at low levels sounded too flat for my taste.. i think, the sound quality could improve if that gain pot had a non linear behaviour, like a slight tone control. So, went back to ltspice with no luck, guys, its that possible? im trying to be very economical, this could be easy with a stereo pot but these are expensive here, also i dont wanna affect the gain too much and keep the two transistor topology.

Frequency Response gain pot - Album on Imgur

as you can see, when the pot is at max the highs are much more noticeable, then it gets more balanced as de volume gets low. also the mids move along to near 1k.

hope you could help me guys :)

haha, ty man... here's the files but first you may rearrange the symbols if you wanna simulate because mine aint the original ones.

Attachments

• modeling_first.asc
    1.4 KB · Views: 21
  • modeling_last.asc
    1.9 KB · Views: 14
  • first.jpg
    first.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 104
  • last.jpg
    last.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 107
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I can't see a way to do what you want without making it more complex. Firstly, both these circuits depend critically on:

1) Being fed from a low source impedance.
2) Having the wiper of the pot feed into a high impedance.

The second diagram will never act as a satisfactory volume control.

Crazy idea as you are into experimenting with this... how about using a dual gang pot where one side is used for volume and one for tone ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.